Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Hummingbird Migration map 2014

melvalena
10 years ago

Its time to start watching for them! especially those further south of me.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/humm_ruby_spring2014.html

and

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Dig out those feeders and clean them up.
My coral honeysuckle has one fan of blooms on it, but it won't be long and the whole thing will be a blaze of red, just in time for the little jewels.

Comments (11)

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

Never really put one feeder away because of a winter hummingbird. It might have gone...not sure yet. But I think I saw a migrant a couple of days ago checking out my plum tree. No blooms on that, just buds, but I have a feeder and then my Carolina Jessamine is blooming. The Coral Honeysuckle is starting to have buds...love that one! Been a long winter and a front's going to come in tonight, I think...we need rain SO bad!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I know it's early, but I know that I heard one while doing yard work on Sunday. They have a distinctive 'tribal trill' :-)

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,
    that's so cool you had one winter over. Poor thing it was a cold winter this year. I think they usually winter over this far north only if they are too young, too old or sick to make the trip. :(

And Pam!! You heard one already??? Oh I know that sound so well. Can't wait to hear it again.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

When I lived in Granbury, a gardener friend had a couple that hung around all year. She thought that they sheltered in her barn.

Gail, I still haven't seen him or her yet! The feeder looks lonely but I haven't been watching it all the time. Guess I'll bring it in tonight during the freeze.

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

melvena, there is reliable evidence that many Rufous Hummingbirds since the 1970's have established themselves as over-wintering populations across various locations in Texas and the other Gulf Coast states. They are a fairly cold-hardy hummingbird species and can tolerate freezing weather. I've seen some here for 3 winters so far. They are NOT physically unable to make the trip south...but some of that species has simply changed their wintering areas...for some unknown reason!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,
    I haven't read anything about them changing their habits just that some aren't able to make the trips back south. That's interesting that they do that. Another mystery to look forward to solving.

• bennys
    10 years ago

I've been seeing Hummers randomly here near Portland, all winter. We had nights as cold as 5 degrees & got nearly 10" of snow, three weeks ago! I thought I was seeing Rufous individuals, However the ODFW states on their website, The Anna's is the only hummingbird regularly found in Oregon in winter. I was so amazed to see one here in winter, I never took the moment to identify it!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I read you should keep a feeder up all year for unexpected migration and the older ones that can't migrate like they should. We had a small family of blue birds stay all year round for a few years for reasons unknown. It sure was fun to see them in the bird bath splashing around every day. We have a robin with a bad wing that just hops around most of the time. It can fly into a tree, but it doesn't hang with the flock. I don't know if it can survive the hot weather here in the summer or not.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

My friend in Seattle keeps feeders out all year for his Anna's.............he sends me pics all winter long. He has to keep several feeders as they do freeze and he just keeps swapping them out. You may have Anna's as abundantly in Oregon if you do this.

• bennys
    10 years ago

Thanks Carrie, that's a great idea. I have two identical feeders. However, We actually stay above freezing most daylight hours. I could bring them in overnight when it gets below freezing.

This post was edited by bennys on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 22:42

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I have 3 that over winter. Anna's that is, 2 males and a female.
    1 male and the female, Aka The Mr and Mrs have been with me for probably 5 years. I believe the other male is a son. This was his second winter.

I bring the feeder in at night and bring back out at dawn or so when we had freezing temps.

I have one male Rufous that should be showing up any time now. He takes his turn..I will put out another feeder for them to guard against each other in June. When they really get defensive of the space they normally share in harmony.