Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
electic lawn mower for johnson grass?

Posted by merrybookwyrm 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 9:13

Does anyone know if any of the electric lawn mowers handle overgrown johnson grass? Got to buy a new lawn mower this year...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: electic lawn mower for johnson grass?

How high do you plan on letting it grow before you mow it?
Johnson grass is tough, and my big John Deere has a hard time if I let it get too big before I mow.

o

I was afraid of that.

The johnson grass is too high. Someone threw an edging rock into the asian jasmine last fall, and I didn't see it. I broke the lawn mower when I mowed the asian jasmine down for the fall, and didn't get to the johnson grass in the back. Now I've got the money to replace the lawn mower...

Poor baby broken lawn mower. It was only 9 months old.

o

You could probably do it with a powerful weed eater. Do you have one of those?? You may have to do it in a sequence of starting at the top and just keep chopping away at it until you get to the bottom.
That is how I mow it............by setting the mower blade as high as possible and then just lowering it until I have it as low as possible.........it takes a lot of patience, but it works for me.

o

I'd paint it out with round up if it were feasible. That stuff is awful. Some grows into my lawn from next door. I RU it in the spring a couple times and it doesn't come back until the following year.

o

Sure the internal breaker doesn't need to be reset?

o

Thank you all. I guess I'll just go with clippers, weedeater, and RU on the johnson grass, and get a gas-powered lawn mower.

o

FWIW, I have an electric lawn mower (plug in, not battery, because I needed something light weight to lift in the car). It goes through Johnson grass just fine - I sometimes have to push down on the handle to lift up the front so it can spit out the heavy grass, but I've never had it quit on me.

Lin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here