Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Want a Kumquat Plant?

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 9:21

I have two, they've been in the ground several years, and are already producing more than I can use. If someone wants to come dig one up, it's yours.

It's the Nagami, the tart/sweet one.

I'm in SW Houston.

And if you can, I'd like for you to help me move two small grapefruit trees that are in the wrong place - I put them near a Rio Red grapefruit, which has grown very large very fast and is swallowing them up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Want a Kumquat Plant?

Hello, since you are growing grapefruit trees, do you have any advise on the perfect location, and any other planting advice. I just bought a naval orange, persian lime, mangrin orange and rio red grapfruit, have no clue on where to plant in the yard. I will be planting them in Rockport Tx? I would appreciate any citrus planting advise. I also have a meyers lemon that I need to plant there. My husband just retired and wants citrus trees, and I have no clue. Barbra

o

All of those will do fine in Rockport, Barbra. The more sun the better. I like citrus more than other fruits because birds, squirrels, coons, possums, etc. leave them alone.

You might contact your county extension agent for specific advice. I have hard clay soil in my yard and they do fine. Give the rio red plenty of room, it gets very large very fast. It will have a heavy fruit set every other year. The mandarin is the only small one you have, so give them some room. They can get 20 ft tall or so and 15-20' wide over time. I'm having to move a couple that are too close to my rio red, all were planted at the same time, and it's quite a bit larger than the other two.

o

Thanks for the information, do you know what side of the house they need to be planted on, to have the best results? I am going down on Monday and would like to plant a couple in the ground, the rest in 15 gallon pots. Barbra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here