Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon Tree

Posted by carrie751 z7/8 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 9:22

I am looking to buy one of these this year, and would like some advice on where to start looking. I saw a few at Calloway's yesterday, but am very inexperienced as to what I should be looking for. These were all in bloom ( smelled wonderful, BTW), and looked healthy. They were priced at $50. Is this a reasonable price? Anyone growing these, please chime in and tell me what you thing, where you got yours, etc. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon Tree

Hi Carrie, don't know where you live but I recently found one at Maldanados nursery in New Braunfels. I think it was about $20. They are great folks there and have other "branches" (pun intended) in San Antonio and maybe other places. Google the name and I am sure you will find their site.

o

They are nice ornamentals, but they are only cold hardy down to 20 degs. so you have to bring them in during the winter, at least a few times, when the temps drop that low.

There are better deals out there, than $50., but I don't know how large the one you looked at, was.

o

Rick, I do know they are not winter hardy, but should do nicely in my plant room during our cold months. I had a lemon tree a few years back, but it got too large for me to move in and out, so I thought this smaller one would be a nice alternative. If you hear of a better deal, let me know.
nbtonya, I live north of Dallas and south of Denton. Thanks for the name of the nursery, I will google and see if we have them in our area, though I have not heard of one.

o

Lowe's had nice bushy ones last year for $25 so you might check there.

o

Carrie, I can't remember (CRS) where I bought mine, as it was several years back. However, I am pretty sure I didn't pay more than $25. for it. Probably got it at HD or Lowe's, although it might have been at Calloway's.

Mine has done well this year, after the hail did some damage last spring, and I had to prune it back. It is now larger than ever. I have it in a fairly large pot, and it takes my wife and I together, to bring it in, when the temps dip a little too much. I don't bother until the temps dip below 28 degs.

I won't be shopping until mid-March, though, for anything new. I put dianthus in the beds last fall, so we are good until then, at least.

o

Thanks all, I will check Lowe's soon.... 50% is a big savings !!!!

o

I have several in pots. Just be sure you put it outside so the bees can pollinate it if you want lemons!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here