Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wagon Wheels as trellis

Posted by ladybugfruit 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 9:25

So I been thinking about how I can work veggies into my existing beds this year ( already realized I bit off more than I can chew with new landscaping projects) and since space will be an issue, I had the revelation last night that my wagon wheels from my precious mother's gardens of past would work great as a trellis and give me some vertical gardening options. Now the question is how can I safely get them secured in the ground to use them. I certainly don't want them falling over (especially on a dog!!). I have sandy loam with lots of small rocks and the engineering aspect of this project has me at a loss. How would you do it?
Here's a pic of one them at my previous property.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wagon Wheels as trellis

I have been looking for a couple of wheels like that. I want to put them on top of a post and hang baskets around the rim.
you could mount them that way and put string or netting from the ground up for a trellis- cukes- running beans and the like.
pa

o

Very nice and love that it's from your mother's garden. You could secure them between two fence posts. If the fence posts are set in quickcrete and the wheels secured with strong wire it wouldn't damage the wheels.

There's a forum on GW called "garden junk" where some very nice experts in this stuff hang out. GW calls it "garden junk" but it's really cool stuff. They'd love to see that great looking wheel and give you additional advice too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk link

o

Thanks for sending me to Garden Junk!! That is really a fun forum too! Got lots of suggestions on how to get those babies up. I will post pics when I get them in their new home.

o

Well, Got em in today and I can't wait to get some green growing on them! Here's a shot of their new home. :)

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here