natvtxn_gw

New post for San Antonio plant swap

natvtxn
17 years ago

Date: March 31, 2007

Place: McArthur Park in San Antonio, TX

Time: 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

What to being: anything garden related.

I have copied part of Mike's post below.

"Hi folks, It has been a few years since I have been real active on here or gone to a swap. I am looking forward to coming to SA unless something gets in the way.

I hosted one in Bastrop once during which we had a gully washer of a rain storm and we still had about 7 or 8 people, some from Temple, I believe.

What to bring: anything garden related. Does that cover it? indoor and outdoor plants, trees, seeds, pots, herbal soaps, books, tools, garden ornaments, etc. When I first started going to swaps I had no plants or anything so I brought rock. Texas Honeycomb rock, that is, otherwise known as Holey rock. They were some HUGE pieces that folks used as planters or just landscaping.

You might want to bring your own table and chairs instead of filling up the picnic tables.

Folks can also bring something to donate for a door prize if they would like. At the end, numbers are passed out or names in a hat and either the number/name called can choose their prize from the table or a prize is chosen then a number/name is called. The donations should be garden related.

One of the posters was concerned about showing up and folks not having what he wanted. Well, it is not against the rules to post what you have and what you want and even to set up swaps in advance. That way you know you are going to get at least some of what you want.

One of the conditions is that everything is free. There is no buying or selling here. Do it somewhere else, please. And most folks don't want to take home what they brought. They brought it because they have plenty. The want to take home new stuff.

A swap is fair if the two traders think it is fair.

Linda, it has been a long time since I have seen you but you should have some ideas about what to bring from your experiences in San Marcos.

Would people object if I brought information on creating a Backyard Wildlife Habitat? I am a volunteer with the National Wildlife Federation and that is my "job" as a Habitat Ambassador, to inform folks how to "wildscape".

Hope this is helpful. I am looking forward to getting in the swing.

Mike "

We decided on this starting time in order to give the out of town folks time to get here. Since this is our first plant swap, we have decided not to have a potluck dinner.

You can bring snacks and or drinks for your personal use. Remember no alcohol allowed.

It is sort of the blind leading the blind here, as none of we 3 organizers have done this before.

Comments (94)

• castrogardener
    17 years ago

17 days and counting !!

Hope we have a good turn out at the swap. I see some names I recogize from other swaps, so it will be like a reunion, too.

any other newbies out there ? Please come ! You are welcome !!

patty

• phoenix7801
    17 years ago

Would anyone be interested in some worm castings, rabbit manure? Cuz I have those plus I might be able to bring some plants or cuttings?

• teri_mico
    17 years ago

A friend of mine is coming too. She doesn't have much in the way to trade but she does have horses. I told her to bag up some natural fertilizer and bring that.

The more the merrier!!!

Kathy, one of the Gregg's Mist flowers have your name on it. I have a couple of gallon pots that have over wintered in the green house so they will already have a great root system. Since it is coming up all over the place in the gardends right now, I'll also dig up a couple more for you.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pheonix: OOOOH! worm castings! put my name on some and rabbit manure. Good idea!

Both of you: Check my list on exchanges and see if you want me to tag anything for you.

Teri: I won't say thanks for fear of jinxing the plants. LOL

• mike_stubbs
    17 years ago

Teri and Phoenix, I would like in on some of that Gregg's Mistflower and worm castings and a little of the horse manure too.
    Folks, you can bring a ton of stuff or a little or nothing at all. Remember it does not have to be plants. I have seen people that brought herbal soaps, rocks with garden/wildlife paintings on them for yard art, bird houses, packages of seeds they have collected or bought at the store, pots from the store, decorated and plain, unwanted gardening tools, old gardening books and magazines, etc. Garden related is the key.
    Mike

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

Yep, Mike's right:

you can trade anything for anything.

As long as both traders are happy, it's a good deal.

One spring I traded something-or-other for a big bag of leaf lettuce that someone had thinned out of their garden!
    Since young lettuce is very tender & yummy, I was very happy, & so was the other trader.

Some things mentioned on the Ft Worth swap thread are:

greenhouse frame
    whiskey barrel
    gardening books
    pump & so forth for a fountain
    pots..
    & there'll probably be a bunch more stuff.

(One beginning gardener doesn't have anything at all garden-related, so she's bringing lunch!)

• linda_tx8
    17 years ago

Oh, if anyone has extra 6-inch or 2-gallon pots, I wouldn't mind taking some home.
    Also, I have a Hill Country Aster (Aster oblongifolius) to add. I have a couple of Lyreleaf Sage. And I need to dig up a Red Yucca because it ended up totally in the shade...if anyone wants it, I could bring it. I have quite a few of those and don't really want to try to find another sunny spot for it. Teri, you're lucky about the Gregg's coming up all over. Mine is still suffering from a very severe winter...I think what's left of it is afraid to really start growing much.

• teri_mico
    17 years ago

Is anyone interested in some elephant ears? They are are the ones that that have large bulbs, grow straight up, lage leaves, straight green only, and do need some shaded area in my yard anyway.

• mike_stubbs
    17 years ago

Linda, Not to be greedy but I would love to have the Red Yucca and one of the lyreleaf sages.
    I have a number of plastic pots of all sites.
    Mike

• michellesg
    17 years ago

teri mico I'd love some elephants ear, does it grow well here? I am new to town and all I have to offer is rock, which seems to be here in abundance.

• castrogardener
    17 years ago

I'm putting the post everywhere I can for the SA swap...

I also have plastic pots 1 gallon and larger. Does anyone want the larger ones ? If not, I won't take up the space in the truck.

I also have a freeform pond with pump and water-spitting turtle if anyone wants to try their hand at pond gardening. Maybe we can arrange a special swap ?

Please write me directly at email address, not here, since I don't check this forum every day. thank you.

patty

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Patty, I'm interested in your pond but I still don't know if I can make it to the swap.
    What sort of plants are you interested in?
    jolana

• teri_mico
    17 years ago

Michellesg - I will be sure to bring a couple of them for you. I have some planted in the ground and in large pots. The ones in the pots surely grow better (but I'm not one to spend every other day watering).

I have plenty of rocks on my place so thanks by no thanks for rocks.

Teri

• linda_tx8
    17 years ago

Mike...okay, it's no problem! Phoenix...would love castings and manure if you have enough. Teri...I didn't notice that about the white gregg's before. I could bring cuttings from mine if you'd like. I'm not sure if there's time to root any before the swap and be sure whether they are rooted or not. See ya there!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Kathy, this is shaping up to be such a good swap - you should be commended for starting it. I am green with envy that I am so far away and cannot attend. You guys are going to have so much fun, and exchange so many neat plants.

• teri_mico
    17 years ago

Hey Linda,

I know we only have a week so the "white greggs" wouldn't be rooted. I am however cutting to rooted challenged and I know that you are an expert. I would really just appreciate you giving them the tlc to get them started properly. I will just know that they need to stay in pots for a while before I put them in the ground.

thanks

Teri

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Only 8 more days until the plant swap, how time flys. I think we should have a roll call, to see who will be able to attend. I will be there. Barbra,

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good idea.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

I sure hope that someone will bring some double purple datura to the plant swap. I went to Turners Nursery in Corpus, Last week and they were sold out. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Kathy, I have a few Mexican Bird of Paradise plants to take to the plant swap. I see where you wanted seeds, I have baby plants that I dug up last week in Rockport, they are in little pots, do you want one? Barbra,

• phoenix7801
    17 years ago

Barbra...I have double purple Datura seeds. Most likely folks I can bring elephant ears, Dragonfruit seeds, spineless prickly pear,lace cacti, nipple cactus,hoya cuttings(krimson queen and princess,kentiana,curtisii), rabbit manure, worm castings...if i get enough time I can probably bring some redworms.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes Barbara, I would like some mex. BOP's.

If I understand it right, we are to keep our pre-trades separate from the other plants to avoid confusion.

• linda_tx8
    17 years ago

Mark your pre-trade plants and put them under the table (if you have plants on a table) until you can give them to that person. And everything you get to take home goes under the table also. I guess that's a universal rule of plant swaps. Teri..."expert"? Not me...but I took a propagation class at Schumacher's last fall, so will try, no guarantee. BTW, they're having those classes on Saturdays up there. Well worth the small fee...can take LOTS of cuttings from their nursery stock, then they'll keep them there and baby them a while 'til they're ready to take home.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Kathy I have 2 plants, should I save both for you?

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

One is fine.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Well, another beautiful day, to go outside and dig up plants for the plant swap. Just 6 more days! Hope to see everyone there. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Ok, I have blue scabiosa(pin cushion)plants, a beautiful large orange blooming plant, that I do not know the name of, blooms look a lot like the lions tail, Australian sword fern, English Daisies( in hot pink), regular daisies, Lobelia, Dark Green Ivy that never freezes. I am too tired to do any more today, I sure hope I can get all this stuff down there in one trip, just 6 more days. I would love some red worms! dry chicken poop, or Lady bugs. Barbra,

• nbkimberley
    17 years ago

What about chicken poop? And if so what should I package it in? I have some of those landscaping blocks that make a circle but not enough to make a circle and some other landscaping stones. I think I can get enough stuff to swap with I just don't think any of the plants I have are worth swapping: rose bushes that were dug up in Nov. but I don't know if they are going to live. Just moved to Texas (clay soil) from North Carolina (sandy soil) and I am lost as far as planting goes here. I am looking for some kind of tree that I can plant for shade that I can also plant to line my driveway. I was also looking for crimsom red creap myrtles sp? I am interested in lots of other types of plants but am afraid of killing these new seedlings. Can't wait to meet all of you and bring home some babies.
    Also, I know this is all garden related items but is anyone interested in farm fresh eggs or raw goats milk. I can trade these items also, since I don't have much in the plant category.
    I am so glad I came surfing today and found you all.
    Kimberley

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kim, You have some great ideas. I guess put you chick poop in grocery bags. When I first read that I though you wrote "chicken Coop". I wondered why in the world it would have to be packaged.
    Come on down girl! I have about 90 plants and will dig up bulbs the day of the swap. And I am NOT draggin' them home.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A friend is bringing some of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: chinese ground orchiids

• phoenix7801
    17 years ago

You have a friend bringing Bletillas?!!!awesome Im looking forward to this swap now

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Ok, Kathy 2 under the table with my name. I think one of my neighbors might come, I met her yesterday, when I went to invite her father to come to the swap. She told me he died on March 4th. He loved plants, she does too. So I invited her to the swap. She gave me a Jcaranda tree and potted double purple datura. Barbra,

• copanolady
    17 years ago

Kathy - Would you save one or two Bletillas for me? I love those, had some years ago at another house and never see them for sale at local nurseries. I have also invited several people who do not post here and am bringing my daughter with me who has a new house & is just interested in learning about plants. Thank you for doing all this and we really look forward to it.
    Ruth

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have no idea how many she is bringing. Look for Kim with bright red hair and personality plus.

• snappybob
    17 years ago

We have a ton of Aloe Vera cactus. We potted some of it up to bring. I don't know if anyone will be interested in any of it or not. If not, no problem I'll just un-pot them and into the compost they will go. I'll also be bringing anything that wouldn't fit in the veggie garden, mostly tomato seedlings.

• michellesg
    17 years ago

90 plants Kathy? My goodness you've been busy! Do you still have any wisteria cuttings left? I need to get some lady bugs at the nursery sometime soon (the dang mulch I got came with aphids) so I'm going to pick up extras and bring them to the swap so if you need any let me know! I'll bring some for Barbra too.
    ~Michelle

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michelle,
    I have TX wisteria cuttings that are sprouting, but I don't know if they are rooted. I did dig up a plant from a root of my mother plant. Do you want me to put your name on that larger plant?
    TX wisteria is not near as invasive as the Chinese or Japanese

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Michell, I have over 175 plants to take to the plant swap, you need to let me know what you want so I can save it for you. I have some plant to give away, but most I plan to trade, or give to my daughter who bought a new home in November. Barbra,

• michellesg
    17 years ago

Whoa that's a lotta plants Barbra. I have no idea what I want so don't worry about putting anything aside for me. My real goal for the swap is to take notes on everything that works locally.
    Kathy I'd love the dug up wisteria, thanks so much!! My mother in law has the super invasive kind that makes a huge mess every season and I've always wanted to grow some myself.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

I know I potted too many plants to take to the swap, there is no way I can pack them all, plus a table and chair. I will get rid of some of these plants on the plant exchange.
    I hope it doesn't rain on Saturday, if it does, I'm still coming. Just 4 more days to the plant swap. Barbra,

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pheonix, do you live in San Antonio?
    e-mail me, as your page doesn't have a way to e-mail you.

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

3 more days!!!!!!!

See you there/here.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    17 years ago

Snappybob you said, "We have a ton of Aloe Vera cactus. We potted some of it up to bring."

Is that the kind that has apricot colored blooms?

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If any one wants autumn clematis, let me know. I don't want to dig some up if no one wants it.
    You need to know it is aggressive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Clematis

• phoenix7801
    17 years ago

Yep I live in good ole SA. Email sent :-)

• natvtxn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

would you try again? I did not get it.
    Also do you have a name so I will know you at the swap?

• snappybob
    17 years ago

Roselee, this Aloevera has the white blooms. These are pretty small now but will get quite large and multiply.

• phoenix7801
    17 years ago

My name is Joey and I sent the email through the regular email instead of through GW. Now I gotta clean out my car to make room for the plants

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    17 years ago

Okay SnappyBob, IF I get to come I will bring some aloevera that have the apricot blooms.

• linda_tx8
    17 years ago

Okay, finishing loading the pickup, guys! Plenty of my goodies in there. Weather Service says we're going to see the sun and it's going to warm up!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz