Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sperez_gw

Do flower mats work?

sperez
16 years ago

I am a very new gardener and I recently saw a catalog offering annual flowers in seed mats. The idea sounds good to me and something I could easily manage. Have any of you used these seed/flower mat with success?

Thank you,

Sharon

Here is a website reference

Here is a link that might be useful: flower mats

Comments (7)

• alley
    16 years ago

I think that I had some many years ago when I lived in my apartment. I recall some of the flowers coming up, but I don't think that they looked all full and lush like the picture. Of course, that could also have been me with improper watering and care.

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I would not put my money into this. Instead buy seeds and plant them or if you'd like I could look up what seeds I have and can send you some to give you a start.
    I'll have to get back to you on what seeds I have but right now I've got to get going to my dad's.

Then there is the fort worth swap. We welcome new comers to join in and gladly give plants away rather than having to kill them when thinning them out.

Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening

Barb

• denisew
    16 years ago

I would not use one of those flower mats. I agree that most of the plants will come up too close together then when you go to thin them, you might not be sure which ones you're thinning and if you don't they will look scraggly due to crowding and if they're crowded and unhealthy because of the crowding (lack of good air circulation) then it invites diseases. I think I made a pretty good case against those flower mats, wouldn't you say? I agree with Barb. Go to the plant swaps. My garden club also does a plant swap each spring and fall and we always have extra plants to give away to people who didn't bring any.

• annnorthtexas
    16 years ago

I've stayed away from the flower mats too. They usually have flowers that just don't work in my garden. For instance, they'll combine flowers that are better started in the fall with those that should be started in the spring. Or, they include ones that don't like the heat. Or they need lots of water. Or the are supposed to be for full sun when some of them really do better in partial shade.

• tina_2
    16 years ago

Hi - Check the forums in your area, there could be a plant swap you can attend. If your area offers a plant swap , that would be best. As I recall, the seed mats I used never really germinated.
    Besides you can meet some great people and get a few nice plants learn a little about gardening and really have an enjoyable time. Goodluck - tina_2

• Patty Heazlitt
    3 years ago

I agree! Flower mats die and are no good!