Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I bought an Agarita

Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 10:06

Yesterday I bought an Agarita Shrub (Berberidaceae Berberis trifoliolata).
I've been wanting one a long time but not sure where to plant it. I'd like to plant it on the North side of the house but it may need more sun than it would get there.
Anybody in DFW area grow this and can give me advise?

This post was edited by ruthz on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 14:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I bought an Agarita

I haven't grown it, but there is a beautiful and large one at Dinosaur Valley SP that grows as an understory plant so it does well in dappled or filtered sunlight. I have wanted one since I saw that one!

o

I'm not in DFW area, but Agarita blooms the best in full sun.My Agarita is just starting to bloom now.

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 16:24

pkponder, Dinosaur Valley is where DH and I first saw it and loved it.
linda, the one I bought is blooming also. I can't wait to see the berries.
In fact, I was thinking of going to Dinosaur Valley when the berries should be ripe, as I've never seen it with berries.
I may try it on the north side of the house and just move it if needed.

o

How fun that we both saw inspiration at the same park! :-)

I had no idea what it was when I first saw it and looked at hundreds of pictures before I was able to ID it!

Linda, when do the red berries appear?

o

Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 22:13

It's been a few years so I don't remember how we ID'ed it, but it was while we were still at the park. I think we asked the ladies in the park store or maybe at the entrance gate.

o

I seem to remember some berries turning red in May, but the first ones turning red might be later further north.

o

I remember eating them off the bush. I thought it was when we were on the deer lease at Bandara in the fall, but not positive about that.

o

I am in the dfw area and mine does great up against the east side of my house. Tons of flowers and berries every year. Not sure how it would do on the north side.

o

Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 15:05

Couldn't find my camera cord to download my pictures and had to order a new one.

o

So pretty!

o

I have never seen that...it's really fascinating and pretty at once.

o

It's stickery Cynthia but grows with no fuss (watering or food) and makes a beautiful shrub.

o

I have agarita all over my land. I have them under the trees in part shade and in the middle of the field. I have them growing in limestone slopes and in alkaline clay in the meadow. It is a very flexible plant. I also have a relative that seems to be larger, Texas barberry. I have some giants that are around 7' tall .

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas barberry

o

Mine is in full bloom right now. The blooms have quite a sweet scent that you can smell from quite a distance away.

o

Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 23:25

I'll have to check that out tomorrow. I didn't realize it was fragrant.
Do either of you harvest the berries?

o

I am not much of a cook so I don't harvest them. The birds get to them pretty quickly.. I munch on a few as I walk around.

o

I eat a few off the bush, too, but that is about it. I have had agarita jelly before, but I don't make it myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here