Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

I bought an Agarita

ruthz
11 years ago

Yesterday I bought an Agarita Shrub (Berberidaceae Berberis trifoliolata).
I've been wanting one a long time but not sure where to plant it. I'd like to plant it on the North side of the house but it may need more sun than it would get there.
Anybody in DFW area grow this and can give me advise?

This post was edited by ruthz on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 14:58

Comments (17)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I haven't grown it, but there is a beautiful and large one at Dinosaur Valley SP that grows as an understory plant so it does well in dappled or filtered sunlight. I have wanted one since I saw that one!

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

I'm not in DFW area, but Agarita blooms the best in full sun.My Agarita is just starting to bloom now.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pkponder, Dinosaur Valley is where DH and I first saw it and loved it.
    linda, the one I bought is blooming also. I can't wait to see the berries.
    In fact, I was thinking of going to Dinosaur Valley when the berries should be ripe, as I've never seen it with berries.
    I may try it on the north side of the house and just move it if needed.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

How fun that we both saw inspiration at the same park! :-)

I had no idea what it was when I first saw it and looked at hundreds of pictures before I was able to ID it!

Linda, when do the red berries appear?

• ruthz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's been a few years so I don't remember how we ID'ed it, but it was while we were still at the park. I think we asked the ladies in the park store or maybe at the entrance gate.

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

I seem to remember some berries turning red in May, but the first ones turning red might be later further north.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I remember eating them off the bush. I thought it was when we were on the deer lease at Bandara in the fall, but not positive about that.

• drl29
    11 years ago

I am in the dfw area and mine does great up against the east side of my house. Tons of flowers and berries every year. Not sure how it would do on the north side.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Couldn't find my camera cord to download my pictures and had to order a new one.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

So pretty!

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I have never seen that...it's really fascinating and pretty at once.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

It's stickery Cynthia but grows with no fuss (watering or food) and makes a beautiful shrub.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have agarita all over my land. I have them under the trees in part shade and in the middle of the field. I have them growing in limestone slopes and in alkaline clay in the meadow. It is a very flexible plant. I also have a relative that seems to be larger, Texas barberry. I have some giants that are around 7' tall .

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas barberry

• drl29
    11 years ago

Mine is in full bloom right now. The blooms have quite a sweet scent that you can smell from quite a distance away.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll have to check that out tomorrow. I didn't realize it was fragrant.
    Do either of you harvest the berries?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I am not much of a cook so I don't harvest them. The birds get to them pretty quickly.. I munch on a few as I walk around.

• drl29
    11 years ago

I eat a few off the bush, too, but that is about it. I have had agarita jelly before, but I don't make it myself.