Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comfrey in a container is chlorotic

Posted by lesli8 8TX (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 10:41

I have a container of comfrey in my greenhouse. It is very chartreuse with darker green veins. I watered in has-to-gro once a week, next wood ash, several days later I watered in Epsom salt, a few days later I watered in has-to-gro, a week or 5 later I tried alfalfa tea. Other than the coloring, it looks great, but the color doesn't look healthy. What does it want? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comfrey in a container is chlorotic

So the only thing I can think to use next would be green sand. I don't have any right now, need to get some anyway I guess...
Lesli

o
RE: Comfrey in a container is chlorotic

Comfrey is a plant that is capable of growing in less than full sun.

You might try giving it a bit of shade during part of the day to see if it will darken up.

It might just want to go dormant for awhile, as it does in my climate.

Also, don't overwater, and you might want to check for proper drainage.

I suppose, if all else fails, you could suspect a virus, in which case it would be better not to use it for propagation

Has it flowered yet? It usually goes up about 18 inches or so, flowers, and then flops down to cover a large circle, which effectively smothers anything next to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here