Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Hibiscus Question

Posted by blackwillow 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 11:00

Hi. I started some hardy hibiscus seeds last month. Two are NoIDs and one is Texas Star hibiscus. This would be my first time growing hardy hibiscus. In Spring should I plant them in a full sun location, or a partial sun location? I have one flowerbed that gets afternoon sun but I'm afraid it might be too intense during Summer. How drought tolerant are they? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Hibiscus Question

My mallows do best in partial sun .... given your zone I think it would be the same. Full on zone 8 sun all day is hard on mallows, but they will survive with frequent watering. Can you give them some relief from the intense afternoon/evening sun?

I have a Moy Grande which is a cherished plant .. I grow in a pot and give it some afternoon shade. It is spectacular.

o
RE: Hardy Hibiscus Question

Thanks so much for the reply Robyn. I have another flowerbed by my front porch that gets morning and midday sun but shade the rest of the afternoon. Its been difficult keeping the plants in the flowerbed in full sun watered the past two years. I even put down mulch but it still didn't help. I may grow some in containers. Thanks again for telling me about partial sun, I would hate to see my hibiscus plants cook in the sun lol. I'm getting some dinner plate hibiscus seeds next week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here