Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal6942

Houttuynia cordata Chameleon

texasgal6942
10 years ago

Has anyone ever grown Houttuynia cordata Chameleon in their yard? Did it stay multicolored or revert back to solid green?

Comments (5)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I grew it a number of years ago. While it didn't stay quite as bright as pictured above in the partially shaded conditions in which I had it, it kept it's coloration pretty well, but I took it out when it started wanting to take over the world, so to speak. It's a rampant spreader and likes plenty of water. However, it might be perfect is certain situations such as these:

"Easily grown in humusy, consistently moist to wet soils in full sun to part shade. Variegated cultivars develop best foliage color in full sun. Plants spread invasively by rhizomes and may need to be restrained by soil barriers or planted in areas where fixed structures such as sidewalks or buildings will restrict spread. In water gardens, grow in containers as marginal aquatic plants. Plants tolerate up to 2â of standing water over the crowns. In natural ponds, plants are also often grown in containers sunk into the mud to maintain control and to avoid unwanted invasive spread. Grow as a ground cover in moist, boggy areas."

Here is a link that might be useful: About ...

This post was edited by roselee on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 13:39

• beachplant
    10 years ago

stayed colorful, slowly died out. Not sure if the humidity, the heat, the drought or the salt air did it in. I used to grow it in a pond but one year it just didn`t come back.
    Tally HO!

• ignatz713
    9 years ago

Died out, beachplant? Count your lucky stars!!!

Oh yes, texasgal, I grew it, and it does stay colorful. I am in Zone 5/6, lower Westchester NY.

As I said, I grew it in a bed - and decided to grow it in three other beds. And THEN it became as The Blob with Steve McQueen - it grew, and grew, and grew, and grew, and grew. You get the idea.

This plant should have a skull and crossbones on it. The nursery that sold it to me should be ashamed of themselves. It took me TWO full years to tear it out of the beds, and I had to be careful about the most microscopic piece I was carrying, lest I dropped it, as it would root before it hit the ground.

Oh, it's very pretty and interestingly odorous (icky, actually) but be VERY CAREFUL. It is EXTREMELY invasive, a fact I didn't learn from the internet after it had almost climbed into my living room.

Speaking of invasive, don't buy chia seeds, no matter what Dr. Youknowwho says, they are disgusting. And if you DO buy chia seeds and hate them and think the birds might like them, don't throw them in your garden. Neither the birds nor the squirrels like them. And if you DO buy chia seeds and put them in your garden and it rains, get ready. For The Blob II, as the chia seeds morph into a gelatinous mess, and then sprout. And sprout and sprout and sprout and sprout. And then you have to take them out by hand, almost with a tweezer, as they too will take over. Read up on chia seeds, they are an easy growing bumper crop (for all the idiots who eat them) that is EXTREMELY invasive.

Think I've learned my lesson? I wonder.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

THE PLANT FROM HELL. DANGER. DO NOT PLANT.
    Mine turned all green. Took me 3 long miserable years to finally fully remove this horror. It smells awful too.

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Mine turned green after the first dieback. I still have it, but in a pot.

Omar