Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistiaggie

Permaculture

mistiaggie
11 years ago

I was curious if anyone in Texas was utilizing any permaculture methods in their gardening/farming. I'm starting to read a bit more about the process and understand it all, but I have noticed that a lot of the people who do this tend to not be in our climate which made me curious how well it worked here.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Can you describe permaculture in layman's terms please? I tried googling and it sounds like some methods that many of us incorporate in our gardens. For instance, companion planting, use of green manure (nitrogen fixing cover crops, planting natives to reduce fresh water consumption and maybe composting. Did I totally misread it?

• mistiaggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well, from what I understand---and you are right to be a bit confused because I was at first---but it is considered 'beyond organic' in a way.

Here's a good starting definition: http://www.urbanharvest.org/permaculture/definition.html

I'm really learning too still, that's why I was curious if anyone here had taken it 'beyond organic' here in Texas.