Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe milkweed plants near Houston

Posted by eggs3 none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 12:15

I would like to find, for the spring, some good size milkweed plants to put in my butterfly house for caterpillars to use. I know that most nurseries spray their plants, so those won't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find some locally?

Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe milkweed plants near Houston

Buchanan's in the Heights. Most nurseries don't spray them, but they come to them sprayed. Buchanan's sets them aside for a couple of weeks, until the spray has dissipated. Joshua's Native Plants, also in the Heights, is another good source, and they're cheaper.

You can grow more from cuttings, too.

Houston Garden Center usually has them in 8" or 10" pots for less than other nurseries sell the 6" pots, but i don't know if they have them right now. But wherever you find them, you can keep them away from the butterflies for 2 to 3 weeks and they'll be safe.

I haven't had any monarchs for weeks snow, but they should be showing up within a month or so. Do you have some in your butterfly house?

o
RE: Safe milkweed plants near Houston

I have a only couple of tiny caterpillars right now on the milkweed in my garden, so am good for now.

Hope to get 8-10 potted plants to put in the butterfly house so that I can rescue a lot of caterpillars out of my garden again this year.

Thanks for the info about sprayed plants being okay after letting them sit for a few weeks. I'll keep a watch out at Houston Garden Center and pick some up soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here