Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocktail848

DFW Poolside Landscape Advice Needed

cocktail848
10 years ago

I need some advice from an expert landscaper for an area by my pool. As you can see from the photo, I have an area between my concrete deck and the fence that currently has Bermuda grass on it. The grade of the area makes it impossible to mow with my lawnmower and it is quite a pain to weedeat every single time I have to mow the lawn. So I am looking for a landscaping solution that would do well in North Dallas. As you can see, there is some drainage there so the solution would need to account for that so I don't have a bunch of soil or mulch building up at the fence line.

Comments (6)

• msjam2
    10 years ago

I think Calla lillies would be lovely in that spot. Costco has them now for sale.

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

No expert here, but would it work to lay some rectangular edging stones against the fence and then build up the soil a bit in front of the stones so that the grade isn't so steep? I'm thinking that the stones wouldn't fit exactly flat against the fence and thereby allow for ventilation and drainage so the fence won't rot. (?) Soil or mulch would become compacted against the fence, and as you mentioned and you don't want that. I'd probably do that first and then vary the plantings -- depending on the criteria such as: what style you like, whether the plants shed anything likely to be blown into the pool, and the strength of the sun.

I'd definitely plant at least one climbing rose to be espaliered against the fence (or at least shaped and trained horizontally on the fence). I'd plant a few of the smaller ornamental grasses (perhaps Hameln or Adagio) as well as something with larger tropical-looking leaves (alocasia comes to mind - upright elephant ears) for a change of texture and then go from there with any favorites that meet the criteria for the spot. Lou

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Since the area is so narrow I'd keep it simple and lay some paving stones in the area between the pool and the fence under which you've placed landscape fabric to keep weeds from growing between them. You'll need to take down the level of the soil a little to accomodate them. Trying to keep any plants watered in that small sloping area would be awkward.

However, you might consider digging down slightly in a couple of areas just enough to make a flat surfice on which to place a couple of very large pots between the pavers. They can be planted with something upright like canna lillies, or upright shrubs such as nandina; that is if you don't mind watering the pots. Also something very simple, but lush for the pots might be giant lirope. It's easy, evergreen, and very drought tolerant so would not need watering very often.

Happy summer swimming!

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Agree with the suggestions to level the area some whether you go with plants, stone/pavers, or other combination. We had similar strip next to the pool, but on the downhill side. We put in a ~1ft retaining wall to raise the area to our neighbor's lot level and have been very happy with the change.

Our strip is on the north side of the fence where the shadow complicates things a bit. It gets full searing sun at mid-Summer, but is in shade for much of the remainder of the year. Noticed your strip is in shadow, so may have to experiment a bit to find plants you like that will thrive in your light conditions and are not so Sun-seeking that they will only grow lopsided.

• weldontx
    10 years ago

If you are wanting professional input, I know a young man who is very good and will be willing to contact him for you to see if he would be interested. He lives in the Plano / Frisco area.

Weldon

• weldontx
    10 years ago

If you are wanting professional input, I know a young man who is very good and will be willing to contact him for you to see if he would be interested. He lives in the Plano / Frisco area.

Weldon