Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merrybookwyrm

Henbit is gorgeous, dandelions too!

merrybookwyrm
12 years ago

Favorites since since tinyhood. Anyone else like them?

Comments (18)

• phyllisb2008
    12 years ago

There great in the pasture just don't want them in my yard.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

If you like them.. I'm happy for you. :)

For me, they're just one more thing I have to go pull out.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

I think they're pretty, I pick the henbit and put it in a little purple vase bought back in the 1940's for my late mother; my dad took me to the hardware store to pick it out! Like the dandelions too, when they're young, but all must come out, soon! I hate to envision the weed problems we're going to have this year...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I've been adding dandelions to our green smoothies. Organic dandelion greens are pretty expensive in the stores, so it's nice to have them in the yard. They were brought here from Europe by early settlers for their medicinal purposes. However, I'm only using the smooth leaved variety. Can any herb folks tell me if the thicker leaved ones that are stickery on the edges are edible?

Sorry, but I'm pulling henbit when I see it.

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

I think it gorgeous too! I particularly love a field of it. I have a sweet neighbor who is a little compulsive about weeds. If we pause to talk by the street he'll ask if he can pull some out. Sometimes I pause but I'll usually let him because I have an abundance of it.

BTW, I was told it is good in a salad. Might be a way to use some of it...

• jimr36
    12 years ago

That's strange to think of an edible herb - readily growing in one's yard - as being a "weed". Throwing away free food?

I'll have to research henbit. I've never have heard of that, but maybe I've seen it...

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

My neighbor has a beautiful yard full of henbit. I've been pulling up the dandelions.

The horseherb looks fabulous too!

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

There's a master gardener here who knows all the edible herbs - as I was weeding at the Mineola Nature Preserve I learned about prickly lettuce (which I thought was a thistle). She told me henbit is edible. You can eat it in a salad or saute it lightly. In my sand it's not a real issue, but it's covering some of the beds at the MNP.

Now dandelions are an old favorite of mine - I always had them in a salad as a child. Roselee, interestingly enough a lot of times the dandelions in the store are often chicory - or in the chicory family, as they have lovely blue flowers once they bloom (yes, I planted some roots of some dandelions I bought at Whole Foods - can't get enough!)

Lin

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

I didn't grow up with henbit, only discovered it when it came up in the yard in my house north of Dallas. *I* think it's pretty, it's green with pretty purple flowers in the middle of winter. My neighbors disagree. I will admit, it's taken over the front yard and I need to tackle it before it goes to seed as it's overwhelming everything else. I may have to try some in a salad, if you're sure it's edible! :)

I don't have a problem with dandelions, they're not as prevalent in my yard. 'course, I tend to look at them as wildflowers that I don't have to buy and plant.

• maden_theshade
    12 years ago

One of my first memories is picking those pretty purple henbits to make little bouquets! That is so interesting that you can eat it. Is it okay raw, or do you need to always cook it? Never tried dandelions. Are they bitter?

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Merry, I also love dandelion--in salad! I cultivate it with my arugula and swiss chard and it's wonderful. My little one loves to pick the purple flowers of henbit when he finds it.

Roselee, as far as I know the thicker stuff is as edible as the flat leaf dandelion--I eat both interchangeably though the smooth stuff is more pleasant. I'm surprised that you like dandelion in the green drinks but aren't using henbit. I think the milder taste of the henbit is perfect for smoothies.

Maden, I've always eaten henbit raw, preferably before it flowers, but I imagine it's probably good sauteed, too. The dandelion is quite bitter, but you can eat it, roots and all, raw. If you like strong greens like arugula, mustard or mizuna you might love dandelion.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Lin, thanks for the tip about the dandelions sold in health food stores possibly being chicory. I've never seen it growing that I remember, nor it's blue flowers. The leaves pictured on the link below sure are similar to dandelions!

Janday, thanks for letting me know that both types of dandelions are edible since I've been eating them! They are a little bitter so I just use a little in smoothies for the nutritional value, plus I know it's organic. I grow arugula and love it. It has really pretty flowers in the spring.

I've been so good about pulling up every little sprig of henbit I'll have to go looking for it in the easement. I'd never heard about it being edible before.

Yeah, JimR -- free food that we didn't even know about. Thanks everybody! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicory images ...

• swellcat
    11 years ago

Henbit likes the margins of my raised beds, and I like henbit. (What's not to like about free, organic nutrition?) This evening I had whole grain linguine with tomatoes, carrots, fresh thyme, tarragon, and green onion, chile piquín, henbit, and cheese.

Mainstream American corporate culture would have us poison free, nutritious foods while paying for and eating (slow-acting) poisonous products. How stupid, perverse, and backwards can a culture be?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice henbit close-ups

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

henbit is everywhere in my beds. Comes up with the tulips and stays long after they are in the compost. I like it while it is green, but it is now silvery...I assume fungus. Tried to eat it but it's too fuzzy for my taste and I love greens.

Children love the look of henbit in my beds! They'll tell me that mommy doesn't like it but they do. Happens all the time.

Wish I could get rid of a lot of it, but I try to enjoy it because it makes my life more peaceful. Yes, I really have THAT much.

Ready for it to warm up. c

• eahamel
    11 years ago

How interesting to learn that henbit is edible! I've been wondering about that, and won't pull it up any more, unless it's to use in my kitchen.

Chickweed and purslane are also edible. I like to saute purslane in olive oil, with a little onion.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Dallas Morning News has article about "weeds" and the good things in Henbit such as nectar for those butterflies who awaken on warm winter days.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Be careful with that rough-leafed dandelion. It may be false dandelion. I didn't know any better and tried to cook it once and it never got tender. I pull them up now.

• robyn_tx
    11 years ago

I like the others' comments about loving it ... in the pasture or somewhere else. In my East Dallas neighborhood, folks don't think the pretty little blooms are so nice. Sigh ....