Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

Brugs are sprouting

carrie751
11 years ago

Since yesterday, I find some of my brugs peeking through the mulch. Hopefully, we won't get a really HARD freeze to kill them back.

Comments (12)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I agree, am worried that we're going to get our February sleet, ice and snow. Also have a lot of things leafing out, it's too early! Forsythia is blooming and starting to get leaves, must get cracking on roses that are just starting to show growth, etc.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I need to go look under the leaves to see if I have any action.

I keep looking at TWC 10 days ahead to see if there is winter waiting...and so far it says no. But we all know that could change quickly.

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Probably in April, Cynthia. However, Easter is early this year and that is alway a good sign of an "earlier" Spring...............(she says hopefully)!!!!!

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

we have had such a mild winter here that my brugs are greening up pretty far up the main trunks, rather than sprouting from he ground. I have not had this happen before so I don't know if I should cut them to the ground, or only to the living wood. Any suggestions?
    Molly

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no suggestions on this, Molly, as I cut mine to the ground each fall before I mulch. Cut a small branch and see if it is viable.........if so, I would probably just leave them and see what happens. What do you normally do ????

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Hi Carrie, I have always cut them to the ground in the past, but this year the temps were so mild that a large part of the "trunks" are green and already have leaves sprouting. I wonder also if it is possible that the maturity of these brugs have made them a little more cold hardy and therefore didn't die to the ground.
    Molly

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You cut them to the ground in the fall or wait until spring??

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Carrie, I have normally waited until spring to cut my brugs to the ground...I'm certainly no expert, however and I only have two brugs to worry about.
    Molly

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I only have one brug inground, but I noticed today it has new green coming out.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Molly, my in ground brug got the stem tips nipped so I cut down to green wood and they are leafing out. They may get burnt back again, but look OK. The brugs in pots, that I move into the RV barn if a freeze is predicted, are already blooming! They haven't been fertilized since Oct., so it's no grand show, but blooming just the same.

Jim

• zippity1
    11 years ago

my brugs have been greening up for a couple of weeks and the best blooms i had in '12 were in dec

even my bougainvilla are budding out

• carrie751
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jim for chiming in as you and Molly are probably in the same zone. Waiting until Spring would not work for inground brugs here in North Texas. I thought Molly's brugs would be okay, but did not know for sure.

ok, I am assuming your blooming brugs are in a protected area.