Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub blooming now with tiny yellow flowers

Posted by pkponder 8 Azle (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 13:53

My neighbor has this beautiful shrub that I mistakenly thought to be forsythia. It's blooming now. She can't remember what it is but she said not forsythia. can anyone help with an ID, please? Thanks in advance!

photo Marthasyellowshrub_zps34effda1.jpg

photo Marthasyellowshrubcloseup_zps78b0dee5.jpg

I love her garden! I aspire to have as lovely a front garden as she does :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub blooming now with tiny yellow flowers

My guess is Primrose Jasmine shrub. They are evergreen in San Antonio and bloom in late winter if we have rain. In a dry year they don't bloom much. It can grow to a huge fountain shape and makes a great hedge if you have the room. It's very drought tolerant. They are all up and down my street. My grandmother had them and we kids loved playing under the arching branches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Primrose Jasmine shrub

o

That may be it Roselee! I also followed a link in the article to another article about winter jasmine and it could be that one also! It has so few leaves while it's blooming and they are tiny leaves. The size is right, they came from a neighbor up the street who has a huge clump (15' X 5'tall) right in the corner of her lot.

o

Yes, it looks more like winter jasmine according to the photos on the internet. The article says they are closely related. The leaves in the photos of winter jasmine look just like primrose jasmine. Anybody know how to tell the difference?

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter jasmine on google ...

o

What I understood from the articles was that the Primrose Jasmine is evergreen with 1-3 inch long leaves and the blooms are fragrant while the Winter Jasmine is deciduous and blooms on bare branches. Winter Jasmine leaves are only 1 inch long and it is not fragrant. I didn't detect fragrance at all and the branches are not leafed out yet. Otherwise, they look identical! My neighbor mentioned that the branches are squared.

Thank you so much for pointing me in the correct direction!

o

I just took this photo of the Primrose jasmine in my neighbor Georgianne's front yard ...

While I was there I took this of Georgianne and her front yard. She never waters it and it's beautiful. You can see a portion of the Primrose jasmine hedge on the far right ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here