Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bermuda seed in a yard full of weeds?

Posted by msrose zone8TX (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 13:58

I had so many weeds in my yard last year (1st summer in my house) that I decided I would put a pre-emergent down this year. I was reading online and read some where that mid-March is the best time. Well, I walked out into my backyard this morning and it's already full of weeds, so I think it may be too late. I'm wondering if it's possible to eventually have a lush backyard without resodding. I currently have about half weeds and half Bermuda. Can I put down a weed killer and then some Bermuda seed? I saw some Bermuda seed at Lowes the other day and it's more expensive than I thought, but certainly cheaper than having my yard sodded since I would hire someone to do that.

Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bermuda seed in a yard full of weeds?

• Posted by pkvir z7b DFW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 18:03

If you kill the weeds, the bermuda will start to take over. Don't buy weed and feed, buy a liquid weed killer with 24-d in it. Spray your yard now, then spay it again in a couple of weeks, then one more time first part of April. End of april put some fertilizer down, continue to water and cut you grass weekly.

o

Do you know of a particular brand offhand that's liquid and has 24-d? Does the liquid work better than the granules in the weed and feed?

o

• Posted by pkvir z7b DFW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 3:21

Most brands will have 24-d in them, just check the label. IMO, the liquid concentrate is much better then the weed and feed for a few reasons.

1. Cheaper
2. I like to get rid of the weeds before I feed them.
3. In my experience, more effective.
4. Did I mention cheaper?

o

Bermuda won't thrive if there's not enough sun. If you like bermuda but is too shady, You'd have to spend $$$ to get shade tolerant TifGrand bermuda that just came on the market this year. Supposedly much better shade tolerance than any other bermuda cultivars.

Find nearest Lesco/Deere Landscape store for fertilizer, etc. You will save a lot of money there.

Bermuda needs quite bit of fertilizer to stay thick and lush along with deep watering every 7-21 days depending on weather. Deep watering means one inch of water which is 600 gallons of water per 1000 sqft to throughly saturate ground 6-8 inches deep. It's a lot more water than you think.

o

All the several brands of broad leaf weed killers that I looked at while at Lowes today contain 24-d. It will kill the broad leaf weeds, but not the grassy weeds like 'winter grass'. That you have to pull before it goes to seed. Winter grass will die with hot weather, but keeps coming back every winter if there are seeds. You can spray the lawn pretty easily with a 24-d product using a pump up sprayer. Just do it when NO WIND is blowing so it doesn't drift onto your shrubs or roses. Amazing how as soon as March arrives the winds start. Happy gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here