Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
red scabiosa?

Posted by nccmama z8 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 14:17

I'm redoing the beds near my front door, and I would like to mass some kind of low-growing perennial that blooms in the red/pink family. The location faces north so it will get full sun some of the time but be shaded by the house for part of the day. I think that scabiosa would do very well, but I'm not crazy about the color of "Butterfly Blue" for this spot. My brick color is kind a tan/peach mix, the edging of the raised bed is an orangy/tan kind of stone, but my front door is a deep red, which I don't think goes well with the almost flourescent Butterfly Blue. I have seen pictures of a red scabiosa, but all of the nurseries only seem to carry the blue or pink mist, which looks almost identical to the blue.

Maybe the red variety does not do well in the Dallas area? Any other suggestions for a perennial for this spot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: red scabiosa?

I have a similar location and I don't think the scabiosa would get enough sun there. The butterfly blue that I have are in almost full blazing sun, and they do very well in that setting.
In my north facing bed by the front door I have the purple leaf oxalis triangularis that blooms a light pink and they do well with that part full sun and part shade. Pigeonberry might do well there to as long as the full sun doesn't last too long. It has light pink flowers with red berries and blooms all season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here