Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cold weather again

Posted by pebble09 8a, Austin (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 14:25

I thought Spring was here...daffodils popping out, pomegranate leaves coming out, roses pruned last Jan and already full of new growth and red leaves, elephant year and ginger plants peaking out and seedlings emerging, yellow jasmine blooming...

Now this cold weather this week again bums me, temp down ito 35-36 this week. What's up with that after all the plants have declared spring. I took my brugs and cane begonias out already. And my meyer lemon patio tree is full of little buds and new leaves. Will the cold take off all the buds from it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cold weather again

Same for my house- buds on everything, even on my texas mountain laurels......everything except my trusty spring indicator- my pecan trees. They won't pop out anything until they are sure spring weather is here to stay. That is also about the same time that my St. Augustine grass is ready for it's first mow of the season. Most of my buds have been doing fine with the colder temps lately. It's the frost you have to watch out for. You can always cover if you are nervous about them.

o

If the cold kills the blooms, it's early enough that it will probably bloom again. I'm in Houston and my lemon is blooming now, with a lot of lemons still on it.

o

Newly emerging rose leaves can take short periods into the 20s with no damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here