Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasbet

Landscape shrub for zone 7b

texasbet
12 years ago

We have a new home which we are landscaping. We are looking for an evergreen shrub that grows to no more than 5 feet. Flowers, berries, or something to attract butterflies and birds would be nice, but not imperative. Must be extremely drought tolerant. I thought about holly, but would like other suggestions before we make a decision.

Comments (9)

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

if you are willing to trim you might consider Heavenly Bamboo Nandina. Once established you can't kill them with neglect. They have attractive foliage and berried. There are smaller varieties too. Don't know if they have berries. I know some do not

I like Jerusalem Sage. I have the variety that has woody stems. It blooms in the spring. Has nice soft foliage and happy in full or part sun.

• kfhimmel
    12 years ago

If you want to go native for our area consider Agarita (aka Algerita). It has that evergreen holly look, fragrant yellow blossoms in early spring and abundant small, red fruit in late spring. It is very drought tolerant. Its biggest drawback is that the leaves have very sharp points.

I also like Nandina; it's a real survivor in our climate and not invasive as it is in other parts of the state.

If you like hollies, I've seen nice specimens of yaupon in well-watered landscapes and, in the past, Burford holly was widely sold and used in this area. It is more the size you need, but it also needs regular water.

I'm just outside of Lubbock.

• texasbet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both. I like the idea of Nandina. I'm going to research it and see if it's something we might like.

Plainsman, I'm practically your neighbor. I'm just a little south of you. I like agarita and plan to put it in the back yard. My husband does not want anything spiky in the front.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I will never be with out an Autumn sage. It has been evergreen for me and blooms all the time except during the winter.

Hummers love it. You can trim it to keep it small or let it grow as big as it gets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Sage Latin: Salvia greggii

• lucas_tx_gw
    12 years ago

What about one of the leucophyllum (cenzio aka Texas sage)? They are as drought tolerant as they come, evergreen or close to it and have beautiful flowers when it rains. There are some smaller cultivars available that will stay in the size range you want.

Teri

• texasbet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Melvalena, thanks for the link. The sage looks very attractive.

Lucas, I'll check out your recommendation as well.

I'm beginning to think I need to find an additional place to plant some shrubs. I'm lovin' these suggestions.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Below is a link to Texas native shrubs which may be of help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Native Shrubs

• texasbet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, walnut!

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

There is a Texas sage with barberry planted at its base in my neighborhood. I've been obsessed with it for months now. Maybe obsessed is a strong word, but the silver foliage of the sage really works with the deep burgundy of this barberry. Even the rugged shapes play off each other in a fierce Texas way.

I had a texas sage that came with our house. It was old and died. Not sure what killed it, I neglected it for years and took the purple flowers and the "purple rain" of petals for granted then one year they didn't come back.

Wish I knew what happened. Maybe too many dog holes. It was literally growing at the bottom of a chain link fence.

sigh

c