Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

received my new k.van bourgondien bulbs and perennials book

honeybunny2 Fox
12 years ago

I have been spending the last few days deciding what plants I would order from my new 2012 catalog. I have never ordered from them before, but they have a special, if you order $100 in plants they give you $50 free. I can't resist half price plants. They had a few things that I really did want, and could not find anywhere else. I am going to mail my order out tomorrow, I first need to see their rating. If anyone is interested in a free catalong, you can request it on line, or see the catalong online and then just call them and give promotion code af5108C.

Barbra

Comments (11)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Whow, they did not score very high on the garden watchdog. From what I read it seems as long as I am not getting plants I will do ok, so I think I will go thru with the order. I will let you know how it worked out. Most of their negative feedback was in the heat of the summer. My own plants did bad then, I lost alot of them. I just got my catalog, and will ask for the plants asap. Hoping that the 1st of March is ok. I will post when I get them. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Barbra, They are terrible! I ordered from them last spring and the Stuttgart Cannas did not grow, they replaced them and the replacements did not grow either. Then they only give you a credit, not your money back and if you reorder you have to pay more shipping. I'm very close to just letting the money go than to deal with them again.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

More about Van B. - They ignored my emails, I had to call several times. Then they told me credit only and they can't do it by email so I had to wait for a letter in the mail. Took months and I began to wonder if they would be still be in business. The worst I've had to deal with in a long time.

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

Wow! I'm glad I missed this experience. There are so many good vendors out there. BTW Anyone seen the Almost Eden website this year. Really nice. I got really nice plants from them last year. Same with Bluestone Pers.

Here is a link that might be useful: almost eden

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shirley, I think I am still going to order my plants. There is no way in this world you can grow a stuttgart canna in south Texas. They are a bogg plant, that cannot stand any sun. I fell in love with it when Barry posted a picture of his on the brugmansia forum about 5 yrs ago, he was in Md, and had nothing but problems with burned leaves. Since I am not ordering plants, I think I will be ok. They have only positive feedback since January, if I do it now I think it will be ok. Timing is everything, I'll let you know as soon as I get my order. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

I had a great experience with Brent and Becky's.

Barbra, They were in containers on a shaded deck or in full shade beside the garage and I did keep them quite wet. The bulbs were already soft, almost rotted when received. That is important though to know about boggy conditions though. Didn't they have them near one of the museums here.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shirely, I will try to find these bulbs somewhere else on line today. Soft bulbs are a no no. I called and they are not available at any of our Texas growers. I wondered if you could grow the stuttgart in a container, since all the negative coments were from Texans who had them in their yard. Well it gives me something to do today. Barbra

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have been on the computer all morning, I found that Jung Seeds, have the same plants, and have have a much better rating. I also discovered that Gorge Top Gard is having a half price sale today on their perennial plants. Just wanted to share this informaion with everyone on the forum. I can't wait until spring, so I can start bringing out my plants. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Thanks Barb, my concerns weren't so much about the bulbs not growing but that the company was difficult to deal with.

I do wish I'd checked with the canna forum because I have containers I can use for a bog. Either way both sets were mushy when received.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just went to ebay and bought some heliconia and torch gingers again. Hoping 3 times will be the charm. This year, I will add turface to my soil, since it will add moisture and help with drainage. Spring better get here, I have too much time on my hands, looking thru plant catalogs. I am planning on planing all my new plants spring break, since I will be down there the week with Gary.I still want to put in the new flowerbed, but I have been spending all my time, making soil for my new plants. Barbra

• jsfp3377
    12 years ago

Just tried to place an order from Van bourgandien after browsing their catalog last weekend...and it appears they are no longer accepting orders or in business...phones wouldn't work either:( If you are looking for a good source here is one of my favs www.tulipworld.com they don't print a catalog:( but have lots of nice things and have another company I think they are the same...Hollandbulbfarms.com lots of good perennials