Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

Mina Lobata - Spanish Flag-Ipomoea lobata

bobbi_p
14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

These were blooming beautifully in Paris the first week of October last fall. I had never seen them before. So, I bought some seed and wondered when you guys plant here?

I googled it and came across a post from Boss Jim last year saying he waits until May to plant for September blooms. Anyone have any luck getting them earlier?

Bobbi

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/mina_lobata.html

Comments (7)

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Nope, they are fall bloomers for us. I started the seeds early one year, had great huge plants and not a bloom till fall.
    Tally Ho!

• jardineratx
    14 years ago

I have had good luck with germination of seeds sown in the spring, but the plants really take off when the weather warms and they are truly at their best at the end of the summer/early fall. I like this annual vine and wish it was grown more. Unfortunately, I didn't harvest seeds and they are not easy to find.
    Molly

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

Hi Bobbi, I had that in the past and I remember planting in April here

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

bobbi, I'm sorry to hijack your thread but I am trying to remember the name of a tree that you posted about some time back. It was a smaller, ornamental tree with coral blooms and I think you had gotten it from Arbor Gate. I tried to describe it to them one time but couldn't give them much info and they didn't know what it was.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me! Thanks a bunch!

Lynn

• bobbi_p
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Texas Lynn,

Did you get my e-mail yesterday? If not, here's a link to the original post. Mine is defoliated since December now, and no signs of new growth yet, but then again, we still had a pretty hard frost on this morning. As with everything else in my yard, it's a wait and see game to see what survives this winter!

Bobbi

Here is a link that might be useful: Erythrina crista-galli X bodwillii

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

Bobbi, I'm sorry, I didn't get your e-mail! But the link is definitely the post and tree that I was thinking of - thank you very much! I will ask Arbor Gate about it next time I am there!

Happy Gardening!

Lynn

• rubysplace1_verizon_net
    12 years ago

8/24/11 Gloucester County, New Jersey Although the above posts were done quite some time ago I've just seen them. I grew my Mina lobata in the Spring from seed. I have the vines in many locations in my gardens. Gorgeous lush plants.....not a bloom to be seen yet. I spotted this forum while double checking to see bloom time. I've read they bloom from Summer to Fall. Well they might bloom from Summer to Fall somewhere, but not here. I can't even say I see flower panicles. A friend in the Denver, Colorado area is growing M. lobata and she has no signs of a bloom as of yet either. I'm assuming from the previous comments in this forum that this is normal for many areas. If anyone has them blooming in South New Jersey at this time please let me know. We are waiting for a magnificent show. Hope it is coming!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES