Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nbtonya

Bulk Vermiculite and Peat Moss

nbtonya
11 years ago

I am looking for bulk amounts of vermiculite and peat moss. I am in New Braunfels, but will drive to San Antonio, Austin and Fredericksburg areas if the prices are good enough. Any suggestions fellow TX gardeners?

Tonya

Comments (9)

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Hey Tonya! The only places I can think of would be Schultz nursery or Rainbow gardens. I think they carry 4 cu ft size but I'm not sure on the price. Might check with Texas Hydroponics or Sol Hydroponics.

• TexGal1
    11 years ago

Tonya, I live in the Longview area, but I can give you an idea on the price. I bought a 4 cu ft bag of vermiculite for $32. Expensive, but well worth it given the results!!

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

The largest bag I've seen is the 4 cu ft one at Rainbow Gardens #3 on Bandera Rd. $32 is about right for the price as I remember. Many places don't carry it anymore because there were some concerns about it containing asbestos a few years ago. As far as I know there's no problem now.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I looked at Rainbow on Bandera today and like Shirley says 4 cu. ft bags were $32 plus change for vermiculite. 4 cu. ft. Perlite is about $24.

Several years ago I heard one of the radio garden gurus said Perlite is better to mix in potting soil than vermiculite, but I forgot the details..

Rainbow has 4 cu. ft. bales of peat moss, but didn't see a price. Lowes also has peat moss in 4 cu. ft. bales.

Happy gardening digging all that stuff in .... :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Oh sorry, it was TexGal that first mentioned the price of vermiculite. Seems it 's about the same price in San Antonio.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

What I have heard is that vermiculite will retain moisture and perlight does a better job of increasing drainage. It really matters what one wants to do with your soil.

England is trying to outlaw Peatmoss because of environmental reasons. A lot of pissed of gardeners there! A huge voting block in England LOL! It is becoming an issue if you are sensitive to that kind of thing. The diversity of the bogs that Canada mines the peat moss out of are being impacted in a huge way and they are not finding that the areas are rebounding. I don't really know the details.

If one is growing cactus or xerics peat moss becomes hydrophobic when it dries and does not like to absorb water unless dunked and soaked in water. It also breaks down and in an non advantageous manner and becomes even more brick like as it gets old. It is good for temporarily adding acidity to alkaline soil but that breaks down in time. Many of the guys I listen too say to get out of the peat habit for several reasons. It is cheap, that it is. It is good for tropical plants that should not dry out. This is all one of those opinions that one can disagree with. I don't mean to step on toes here, just to put forth info, incomplete as it is.

• ahimsakid
    11 years ago

Some cement block dealers handle vermiculite . . . typically smaller than what you find at the garden center, but way, way cheaper.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I mistakenly bought a 4 cubic bag of course vermiculite from the Great Outdoors in Austin and they charged $35. I was trying to buy perlite and I was wondering why the price was so high. I should not wonder out without my glasses.

• dabsabre
    11 years ago

I saw some bags of coarse vermiculite at HD yesterday next to their perlite. hadn't seen it at HD before.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths