Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolann_z8

Question about weeping cherry tree

carolann_z8
16 years ago

I have 2 weeping cherry trees (Prunus Subhirtella Pendula) and a small limb broke off of the double weeping cherry tree. I know they are grafted at the top to make them weep so if I propagate the limb will it make a weeping cherry tree?

Comments (20)

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bump

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I have no idea, but I'll help you bump the topic up again.

Pam

• rick_mcdaniel
    16 years ago

CarolAnn, while my relations in NC grow them, I have no direct experience with them.

My recommendation would be to try it, and see what happens.

You are more daring than I, to try and grow it here.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Pam.

Rick, if it was something you see everyday I may not want it. They don't call me the fearless gardener for nuthin'. LOL

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

You're a brave soul Carol. You inspire me. I'm not jealous that a bunch of stuff that isn't suppossed to grow in TX thrives in your garden because I'm a better person than that:) . PJ

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Let us know if it works. I had a weeping cherry tree (grafted) for about 6 months (we looove weeping trees) and something hit it's trunk and all it's sapped drained out in about 5 days. I was very sad. I had a weeping redbud too but the freeze April of 07 killed it. So far the only weeping tree I've had survive for me is a fruitless mulberry.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL...PJ

My plants don't know they don't belong here cause I don't let them read the tag.

Michelle, I saw 2 weeping cherry trees in a yard that were 6 years old and fell in love with them. They were in zone 7 and I'm barely in 8a so I hope they do well.

I have 5 weeping lavender twist redbuds so I'm pretty addicted to weeping trees.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Oh, cool can you send me a pick of your weeping trees? I saw a weeping curly willow at the place I got my cherry tree the other day. If I had the room I would have gotten one. The bare curly limbs were really neat. I bet it will be even nicer when it leafs out.

• cweathersby
    16 years ago

I hope these do OK in Texas. I've got 4 of them in pots waiting to get planted.
    Has anyone actually tried and failed with these?

• michellesg
    16 years ago

Yeah but something chunked the trunk and all that sap ran out so that's kinda like user error. I hear they don't do so well in high winds but I don't think any weeping trees do well in high winds.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kristy, I'll send you a picture when they bloom or post it on the club site. My cherry trees are about to bloom but my weeping redbuds still have a little while.

I'll show you them when you come down.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Ok, I can't wait to see them. Thanks

• mvpo
    16 years ago

I have a weeping crabapple tree and it was just beautiful this year.

M

• jacquieh
    15 years ago

We planted a double weeping cherry in Texas this past spring. It is leaking sap near the base and the leaves are not looking good. Any ideas? THanks.

• pjtexgirl
    15 years ago

leaking sap near the base? I'll bet it was weedeater dammage. If the tree was girdled by the line there isn't much you can do PJ

• lantana19_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

Has anyone planted these around the Waco area? The Lowe's here has gotten some in, I would hope the buyer for our store would only stock what works here, but you never know.

• len_gardener_2010
    13 years ago

Hello, I'm new to Garden Web, I saw your post when I asked about weeping cherry trees. No the tree that you get wiould not be a weeper it would grow as a normal tree that is if you can get it to root as that cherry trees are one of the hardest trees to get to root. The best way to root cherry is to air layer it. Ok ? Then you can try to bud graft the buds on to the tree upside down. Len

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Don't count on anything that you buy from a Lowes, HD, WalMart or even local nurseries to automatically do well in your zone. Check them out on the internet first. Businesses that sell plants are in business to make money. Even many nurseries will sell you plants that are not suited to the local climate. If they are responsible nurseries they will tell you that the plant you are buying will be an annual in your zone, meaning it's going to die come winter. Cheryl

• MrBlue1984
    11 years ago

I have a weeping cherry (snow fountain) and have rasberry vines coming out all over. i traced the source of the vines to the roots of the the tree. anybody every hear of this?

• Tonia81
    9 years ago

I just bought a Weeping Cherry tree and it looks like some bug was eating the leaves and it looks like it has a rub wound on the trunk. Should I return it or will the tree grow just fine?

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County