Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4inch perennials

Posted by PDubATX 8b TX (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 15:32

Anybody in the Austin/CenTex area feel comfortable putting 4inch potted perennials in the ground yet? I'm itching to get my new native beds going but obviously worried about another freeze...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4inch perennials

I'm not in your area, but I'd check the (MATURE) mesquite trees in the area. They're pretty reliable about only leafing out when there's no chance of a freeze. But, keep in mind it must be a "mature" tree, the young ones get fooled sometimes. They're impatient and want to show off their pretty new clothes.

o

I just saw on KXAN that we are now past the latest historical freeze here in Travis/Williamson. I think out in Marble Falls/Burnet/Blanco areas there is still a risk.

I am/will be planting some replacement landscaping in a week (drought killed some shrubs last year) without worry. I think we have lost the flowers on the peach tree one year to a late February freeze in the 12 years we've been in this house.

o

It doesn't seem possible, but in San Antonio the temps went down to 31 degrees on April 3, '89 which outright killed a LOT of actively growing plants plus big patches of lawns were damaged and it took a while for it to come back from the roots. Only the nurseries were happy as they got to sell a lot of plants all over again.

I think you're probably safe to plant things now, but you never know. I'm not putting the things in my greenhouse outside yet. If planting 4 inchers just be prepared to cover them in case of a late freeze. With a thick cover like card board boxes, black nursery pots, or old blankets the warmth of the ground will keep the plants from freezing.

Happy gardening!

o

We had a frost here in my part of North Texas this morning. Not bad enough to burn any of the budding plants however. I am cautious as we always have cooler temps around Easter............I feel safe after that.

o

I have been planting all winter the 4" perennials. I prefer to put things in during the winter so they get their roots in before the BIG HEAT. I stop planting in April unless it is an agave or cactus. True I do not grow many tender annuals. I throw towels over my nasturtium

o

PDub -- I have mesquites here, just west of san Antonio. I usually swear by them, but a few years they have bloomed and we got a freeze just afterward. So, I wait until they leaf out, then give it another week-10 days. They look like they could leaf pretty soon. Like 1-2 weeks away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here