Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdubatx

4inch perennials

PDubATX
12 years ago

Anybody in the Austin/CenTex area feel comfortable putting 4inch potted perennials in the ground yet? I'm itching to get my new native beds going but obviously worried about another freeze...

Comments (6)

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

I'm not in your area, but I'd check the (MATURE) mesquite trees in the area. They're pretty reliable about only leafing out when there's no chance of a freeze. But, keep in mind it must be a "mature" tree, the young ones get fooled sometimes. They're impatient and want to show off their pretty new clothes.

• RoundRockMom
    12 years ago

I just saw on KXAN that we are now past the latest historical freeze here in Travis/Williamson. I think out in Marble Falls/Burnet/Blanco areas there is still a risk.

I am/will be planting some replacement landscaping in a week (drought killed some shrubs last year) without worry. I think we have lost the flowers on the peach tree one year to a late February freeze in the 12 years we've been in this house.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

It doesn't seem possible, but in San Antonio the temps went down to 31 degrees on April 3, '89 which outright killed a LOT of actively growing plants plus big patches of lawns were damaged and it took a while for it to come back from the roots. Only the nurseries were happy as they got to sell a lot of plants all over again.

I think you're probably safe to plant things now, but you never know. I'm not putting the things in my greenhouse outside yet. If planting 4 inchers just be prepared to cover them in case of a late freeze. With a thick cover like card board boxes, black nursery pots, or old blankets the warmth of the ground will keep the plants from freezing.

Happy gardening!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

We had a frost here in my part of North Texas this morning. Not bad enough to burn any of the budding plants however. I am cautious as we always have cooler temps around Easter............I feel safe after that.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I have been planting all winter the 4" perennials. I prefer to put things in during the winter so they get their roots in before the BIG HEAT. I stop planting in April unless it is an agave or cactus. True I do not grow many tender annuals. I throw towels over my nasturtium

• castro_gardener
    12 years ago

PDub -- I have mesquites here, just west of san Antonio. I usually swear by them, but a few years they have bloomed and we got a freeze just afterward. So, I wait until they leaf out, then give it another week-10 days. They look like they could leaf pretty soon. Like 1-2 weeks away.