Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie751

Bradford pear tree blooming

carrie751
12 years ago

As I was driving home from the store today, I noticed a bradford pear in full bloom. Couldn't wait to get home to check to see if mine were blooming (wondered how I could have missed that), and lo and behold, they are NOT. Now I wonder if there are different varieties that bloom at different times. Either I am confused or the tree is.

Comments (10)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure there are different kinds of pear tress that look like bradford but are not. Mine are not blooming but have been budding out since just after the first of the year.

Was this blooming tree in a landscape or out in the wild?

I noticed my autumn sage has a bloom! But its low on the back side that doesn't get as much sun. Strange.. but I'll take it. The rest of the plant has buds galore! I think this is the earliest I've seen it bloom. In the past at the old house mine only got 1/2 day sun at the most. I've never had a full sun one before so this might be normal?

Hummers can't be far behind! :)

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

My baby pear tree is blooming; don't like to see this so early!

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is in a landscape, and pretty sure it is a Bradford.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Pears are a beautiful cloud of white when blooming, Love 'um!

Temps in different locations not far apart, called micro-climates as you know, make more of a difference than you'd think. Things a few blocks up the street may be blooming but where I am at the bottom of the hill near the dry creek bottom the same plants are not.

I can wait. Lots of things I still need to do in the garden :-)

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

Haven't seen any Bradfords blooming, but my peach tree is in full bloom. The bees are very happy about that!

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

i have a peach- just one of 3 blooming and i have a pineapple pear that is blooming- but another pear that is not. crazy. I agree with Ragna- about the micro- climates.
    my anna apple is blooming too-
    Enjoy them-
    Gina

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

I've seen a couple wild "Bradford" pears blooming already. My autumn sage has been blooming sporadically all winter. One of my Lady in Red salvias has a branch (or two) that's still green! The rest, along with my Henry Duehlberg & Mystic Spires salvias are sprouting from the roots already. The latter two haven't really died back, either. It'll be interesting to see what they do! This has been one crazy winter.

Does anyone have a mature mesquite tree near by? Specifically in North Texas? I'm curious as to their "status"...they're about the only thing I trust to tell me if spring is here!

• carrie751
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By the way, my bradford pears are blooming today and getting leaves at the same time.......strange happenings.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

my mesquite are not doing anything yet i am south of san antonio

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Gina, thanks for the report. Not good news. Oh well, after last winter's hard freeze I bought lots of old comforters at my daughter-in-law's resale shop so if I have to get them out I will.