Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bradford pear tree blooming

Posted by carrie751 z7/8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 15:41

As I was driving home from the store today, I noticed a bradford pear in full bloom. Couldn't wait to get home to check to see if mine were blooming (wondered how I could have missed that), and lo and behold, they are NOT. Now I wonder if there are different varieties that bloom at different times. Either I am confused or the tree is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bradford pear tree blooming

I'm pretty sure there are different kinds of pear tress that look like bradford but are not. Mine are not blooming but have been budding out since just after the first of the year.

Was this blooming tree in a landscape or out in the wild?

I noticed my autumn sage has a bloom! But its low on the back side that doesn't get as much sun. Strange.. but I'll take it. The rest of the plant has buds galore! I think this is the earliest I've seen it bloom. In the past at the old house mine only got 1/2 day sun at the most. I've never had a full sun one before so this might be normal?

Hummers can't be far behind! :)

o

My baby pear tree is blooming; don't like to see this so early!

o

It is in a landscape, and pretty sure it is a Bradford.

o

Pears are a beautiful cloud of white when blooming, Love 'um!

Temps in different locations not far apart, called micro-climates as you know, make more of a difference than you'd think. Things a few blocks up the street may be blooming but where I am at the bottom of the hill near the dry creek bottom the same plants are not.

I can wait. Lots of things I still need to do in the garden :-)

o

Haven't seen any Bradfords blooming, but my peach tree is in full bloom. The bees are very happy about that!

o

i have a peach- just one of 3 blooming and i have a pineapple pear that is blooming- but another pear that is not. crazy. I agree with Ragna- about the micro- climates.
my anna apple is blooming too-
Enjoy them-
Gina

o

I've seen a couple wild "Bradford" pears blooming already. My autumn sage has been blooming sporadically all winter. One of my Lady in Red salvias has a branch (or two) that's still green! The rest, along with my Henry Duehlberg & Mystic Spires salvias are sprouting from the roots already. The latter two haven't really died back, either. It'll be interesting to see what they do! This has been one crazy winter.

Does anyone have a mature mesquite tree near by? Specifically in North Texas? I'm curious as to their "status"...they're about the only thing I trust to tell me if spring is here!

o

By the way, my bradford pears are blooming today and getting leaves at the same time.......strange happenings.

o

my mesquite are not doing anything yet i am south of san antonio

o

Gina, thanks for the report. Not good news. Oh well, after last winter's hard freeze I bought lots of old comforters at my daughter-in-law's resale shop so if I have to get them out I will.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here