Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dtstxdan

Bottlebrush freeze damage?

dtstxdan
14 years ago

I planted several bottlebrush plants last spring and nursed them through the drought and heat last summer and now they look completely dead. With all the rain since August they have been very wet in an area that sometimes retains water. Anyone think they might come back? Should I cut them back now or wait or just pull them out. They are about 3-4 foot now and were blooming last fall!

Comments (20)

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

If I remember correctly, they are Australian plants & need warm weather.

I had a gorgeous one...
    for one summer.

Although the following winter wasn't "bad", the bottlebrush did not survive.

too bad, too, because they're beautiful beautiful plants.

If yours don't return, & you get more, put them inside for the winter.

• bjb817
    14 years ago

Will Bottlebrushes return from the roots like an Oleander or are they dead if the top turns brown?

Both my standard ones and Little Johns are completely brown and the twigs are brittle. They snap right off without a hint of green inside the stems.

It'd be a shame if they're truly dead. They are (were) some of my favorites. :^(

• jolanaweb
    14 years ago

All but 2 (planted in protected area) of mine are brown, even my huge ones over 10'
    I was told by a lady *in the know* yesterday that they will most likely come back and cited a great reference, so I am not giving up
    They are my favorite shrub/tree
    Good luck

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

Mine are exactly as described above and one of them is 7 or 8 years old and really large so I am sick that they may be dead. What a weird, cold winter.

Lynn

• bobbi_p
    14 years ago

Mine too, is brown, with the exception of a few green leaves near the base. It's really holding on to those brown leaves too though. I'm hoping they'll fall off as new growth emerges. It didn't seem brittle last time I tried snapping it, but as tough as those leaves are clinging, I wonder if it's a tough wood even when dead?!

I finally have my front yard in tidy form and am moving to the back today. I'll poke around mine a bit more and report what I find!

• bjb817
    14 years ago

Since its been a few weeks since anyone's posted here, I'm wondering if anyone's noticed and signs of life on their Bottlebrushes.

I've cut all mine back to stubs and there wasn't a hint of life anywhere. I'll probably give them a few more weeks and then throw in the towel if some signs of life don't appear...

• birdbite
    14 years ago

My Little John is planted in a somewhat protected area. It was 3' tall and 3' wide and totally brown from the freezes. It still has most of it's brown leaves clinging to it, but I am seeing new green buds and growth starting in interior along the branches. I don' think it's alive all the way to the ends of the stems, but I will trim it back to the new growth once I'm sure it's done budding out.

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

I haven't cut mine back but they are still looking pretty far gone :(

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

I just spotted today some green growth coming from my larger (and older) bottlebrush! I am very excited! I'm still not sure that the younger one is alive, but at least the big one still is!

Lynn

• carrie751
    14 years ago

Wait for the 80's, people...........wait for the 80's...the ground has to warm up a bit.

• bjb817
    14 years ago

Well, call me impatient, but I pulled the plug this weekend on all the plants not showing any signs of life, including the bottlebrushes. Went with replacements that are reliably z8 hardy.

I knew the Little Johns were more of a z9 plant, so fair enough, but the standard ones were listed as z8 on the tag, which left me a little frustrated... Live and learn.

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

Well, I was waiting it out but had pretty much given up since I had detected no sign of life in my BB's (even scraping low down on trunk). I just happened to look at it the other day and lo and behold! there was some green growth. I think it is going to need some major cutting back, however.

I thought I would post that mine was still alive so as to give other folks hope that perhaps theirs was too.

bjb, I think we've all gotten lulled into a false sense of security the last few years with having mild winters; I know I had all kinds of stuff in my yard that would normally have not been considered winter hardy and yet it lived from year to year. Until this past winter! I'm certainly going to be more careful about what I put in the yard! It's hard to lose mature plants!

Lynn

• big_cleo
    14 years ago

Our bottlebrush bushes are over 15 feet tall and heavily damaged by the freeze. We have new growth high and low on them so we are carefully cutting them back to the new growth. Our nursery advised us to cut them back so I am hoping this works. It's heartbreaking to have to cut them.

• maidhc_mac
    14 years ago

I've seen signs of life on Bottlebrushs, starting to bud out along the main trunks and some branches. The big ones will probably need a season to get back to where they were, but they are fast growers... almost too fast.
    Saw a large one the other day that had no freeze damage at all, and it went uncovered through the hard freeze. Was in a somewhat protected spot, but unusual to see it all nice and green and red.

• bjb817
    14 years ago

For those of you getting new growth-were yours in somewhat protected locations? Just curious. Ours were in pretty exposed areas and I think that may have contributed to their demise. :^(

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

My large BB was located on the SE corner of my house, flanked by a large gardenia (which also sustained freeze damage - grrrrr!) and some shrubs on the other side, so it was in a somewhat protected spot.

My younger BB, which was over 5 feet tall, a weeping tree-like specimen - bought last year for $$$$ - and which was to be a focal point in the yard, croaked. It was not located in a very sheltered spot.

I dug it up yesterday and threw it, sadly, on the brush pile.

Lynn

• hymer
    7 years ago

Do you ever put tree spike fertilizers around bottlebrushes?

• kagiri33
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My weeping bottle brush (about 8-9ft tall) also succumbed to the winter freeze and seemed to have gotten some disease. I cut off the winter burned leaves and later the rest of the plant seemed to shrivel and not recover. I finally had to cut it down to the main stem and I am hoping and praying that it comes back to life. I love the bloom from this little tree- so I really hope it comes back to life even though we are now in May (Houston, TX). Is it OK to apply neem organic oil to the pruned stems/brances? Anybody know?

• shirley taylor
    5 years ago

Our bottle brush was new last summer and I really thought we had lost it over the winter. We have many branches that appear to be dead and snapped off easily....I did cut back somewhat but decided to wait a while longer before really cutting it back.....until the really warm weather shows sup. There is definitely new growth coming up from the bottom of the plant. About half dead and half green.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert