Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

DFWers, have you planted onions yet?

TxMarti
10 years ago

We intended to plant seedlings Feb 1, but it's been too cold or rainy to do it yet.

Comments (10)

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

I planted onion bulbs a couple of weeks ago. I hope they come up. One or two tried to send up a stalk, but they broke off either from the cats or the cold. I have some growing that I planted this fall that are alive still. That is ALL that is alive in my garden though!

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Watching a neighbor who was a serious onion grower made it obvious we lack the skill, discipline, and patience for a fraction of their success. Scallions from seed are more our speed. We'll probably start sowing more of the following during March. They're only 60 days to maturity and really seem to grow pretty well staggered year-round here - though we didn't have any left in the ground during our recent 3-day freeze with mid-teen lows to know how they would have endured.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee onion 'Big Bunch'

• msjam2
    10 years ago

Oh dear, I bought some fron calloways last week and planted them, hope they do ok in this weather.

• syntria
    10 years ago

I love Calloways! I plan to buy onions and potatoes from them soon. Building my raised beds this weekend. :) Hope to put them into the ground next week sometime. To early to plant potatoes though right?

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    10 years ago

I am bit south of DFW in the Bell County area. We were thankfuly spared the brutal ice storms y'all got this winter. I planted Bonnie onions that were already started in Oct. They seem to be doing just fine. They were one of the few plants that survived with no protection. I planted cabbage seedling at the same time. Two survived, and started forming heads last week. I will be picking up more of the Bonnie onions for containers in a couple of weeks. Though I will have a bunch of onions in with my tomato, and pepper plants this year as well.

I have had no luck starting from seeds, The weather here has been to far one way, or the other.

• phyllisb2008
    10 years ago

I have onion all year but did plant about 100 new ones in January and they look great and the potatoes are just now popping out also the snow peas are up about 6 inches and look good. All the lettuces are up I have never had any luck with cabbage it seems like the bugs like it better than me.

• DragonFlyTx
    10 years ago

I started my red onion seedlings in seedling containers about 8 days ago. They haven't popped their little young heads up yet. However my Tomato seedlings are doing wonderful so far.

• phyllisb2008
    10 years ago

We are getting ice right this minute so I hope everythiing makes it. Poor plants so cold.

• DallasUrbanFarmer
    10 years ago

My onions are solid frozen right now. Not sure what to expect, but keeping fingers crossed. Out of laziness - and fed up with all these crazy temp fluctuations - didn't bother covering them last night. We'll see if I get punished.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My garden was pounded with little ice pellets yesterday and the stuff is still sitting on the onions. I hope they make it.