Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

My visit to a wholesale nursery

ogrose_tx
12 years ago

I went with my son this morning to pick up a few plants he is putting in a client's yard. It's in a very small town east of Dallas.

Wow, what an operation! Apparently the owner started off with one greenhouse some years ago and now has what seems like acres of greenhouses in two locations plus a building for putting the propagated plants into the pots for transport to the greenhouses. It just seemed like such an efficient, clean operation, they even have a little lake for irrigation and it looks like they have beautiful plants to ship to the various nurseries/landscapers here in a few weeks as it warms up.

They gave me a catalog that shows how much sun needed, butterfly friendly, Texas natives, can take dry situations, etc.

I had never seen an operation like this before, sure was impressed!

Comments (8)

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

is it the one in Mansfield? I think it starts with and "S"?

tell me more, tell me more....

c

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, it's called Green Lakes (or something like that) in Seagoville, way off the beaten path. Then we went to lunch at Cafe Brazil in Carrollton, great food and coffee, but way too much to eat!

Being as my husband is not well, don't get out much, so it was really a treat spending time with my "first born" who now has a teenage daughter and is having a nervous breakdown over it, even if she is really a good kid!

I couldn't BELIEVE the traffic situation at 8 this morning on George Bush, 35, and 635, unbelievable! Luckily before I retired I worked fairly close in Plano, always left at 6:30 in the morning, so missed all that mess!

There were 2 people in the office (a trailer); I got talking to the gal, she was telling me all the stuff she had in bloom right now, Iceland Poppies, Delphiniums, Foxglove, etc coming up. Must be neat to work in a place like that...

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

Sounds like a great day!

Doesn't get much better for a garden lover and mother.

I am sorry to hear about your husband.

hugs

c

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

How fun!

I don't think I would bring home much of a paycheck if I worked there.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

What a treat, Sheryll, thanks for shaing it with the rest of us............now I think I am turning a little green !!!

• shebear
    12 years ago

If you think that traffic is bad, you should see Houston and Los Angeles.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're right shebear! Last year we went down to MD Anderson in Houston; my husband was driving, I almost had a nervous breakdown. Never again for either of us! I really don't even drive the Dallas freeways anymore either, scares the heck out of me (I know, I'm a wimp!)

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

Sounds like the kind of place I'd like to work when I retire. And also take my pay in plants!