Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plum Tree?

Posted by seamommy 7bTX (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 10, 09 at 16:12

Anybody have a suggestion for a plum tree that grows well and produces fruit in Texas? I'm seeing them again this year and I'm being tempted to buy them. Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plum Tree?

My Santa Rosa plum was a highly recommended variety when I planted it about 20 years ago. It produces tons of plums every other year or so. It is not growing in improved oil, or full sun and gets no spraying or extra care at all. Can't ask for much easier than that.

Prunus salicina 'Santa Rosa'

"An early season plum, the Santa Rosa is a medium large, crimson to purplish red, lightly freckled plum with yellow flesh slightly suffused with pink especially near the pit. The fruit is firm, sweet, juicy, and aromatic. One of the most frequently planted of the Japanese plums. It is a self pollinating tree and thus can be planted in locations where pollination is not needed. It is excellent to use for home drying along with its fresh taste when ripe. Zones: 4-9.
Another Luther Burbank introduction, and still an important variety. Medium-large, bright red fruit, ripening midseason. Vigorous, precocious, productive tree."

Plum happy gardening!

o

Bumping this up for more suggestions ...

o

I read 'Bruce' was good. I've seen it at Lowe's so it's readily avalible. PJ

o

Other varieties for this area are Allred (small with red skin and flesh), Methley (mediums sized, purple skin and amber flesh), Morris (large fruit, purple skin and flesh), Ozark Premeir (large fruit, Red and Cream skin with yellow flesh) and Wickson (large with yellow skin and flesh).

Had to drag out the book for those ☺

Pam

o

I had a Methley plum for years in my backyard (got it from Lowes). It had the best tasting plums that I have ever tasted anywhere. Sugar-sweet & loads of fruit. I would highly recommend it.

o

If you go to this website:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/stone/stone.html

you will find all the information you're looking for about plums. It shows what variety to plant in your area of Texas and description of each variety

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here