Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bare root knock out roses

Posted by strebber Dallas, Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 16:32

I meandered into Home Depot today looking for a rake, and of course, had to walk thru the garden section, and I found a yellow knock out bare root rose. There were only a few left, and I really wanted one, so I bought it. My question now is, when can I plant it in the ground, and does it need anything special done until the weather warms a bit? I love reading these forums. They've helped me so much! So, any tips you have are greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bare root knock out roses

I soak all my bare root roses in water before planting. Now would be a great time to get it in the ground, IMHO.

o

I've never been a fan of these roses but I am now. They survived the hurricane just fine. About the only roses that lived down here.
Tally Ho!

o

• Posted by ltruett Zone, 9 Houston (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 20:31

I got the same thing and planted it right away. It is warm enough in Dallas where you don't really have to worry about much. My Sunny KO is actually leafing out already.

o

I got Sunny KO last week or so and planted it in 3g container. It's already starting to leaf out. I bought it to compare to Grandma's yellow rose. I just don't have a spot for Sunny KO at the moment. That means a new bed on caliche soil for it and several others in the containers so it's not something I'm looking forward to.

It's fine to plant bareroot KO roses in the ground right now. I've done worse and they came out fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here