Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
two-season peppers?

Posted by daninthedirt 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 16:40

I've got in my garden some healthy looking left over banana and pimento pepper plants. I could rip them out, or I could just leave them in. Are they going to be productive for a second year? (They were hugely productive this last fall.) We had one hard freeze last month, and I covered a bunch, but only these survived. I've never tried two consecutive seasons with peppers before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: two-season peppers?

I still have a sweet pepper plant (from last fall) still growing. I don't really want to get rid of it, so I'm experimenting to see if it will produce again. I plan to add some compost to help replenish the nutrients. If it doesn't do well, I'll dig it up.

o

I had three jalapeno plants that lived for four years, and produced every year.
Jim

o

• Posted by ckap 9a Sugar LandTexas (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 11:23

Jim,Did you prune the jalapeno plants?

o

No I didn't prune, but I had to switch to a heavier, taller stake.
Jim

o

peppers are actually tender perennials, so yes, they should keep producing for you. And yes, as Jim said, you will undoubtedly need stronger supports.
HTH,
Susan

o

Thank you all. Sounds like I should go for it. The stems are indeed getting quite long, and in fact the plants are now draped over on the ground, so some extra staking will be necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here