Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
random_harvest

When are you pruning your roses?

random_harvest
12 years ago

I've always pruned Valentine's Day here in DFW-land, but my roses are already showing new growth. I may not be able to resist breaking out the Felcos this weekend. What do y'all think?

Comments (16)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Valentine's day is the date here in San Antonio also.

I found this article online. I did not copy all of it.

The last method, and the easiest, is aptly called the easy-care method. Simply cut the bush in half, straight across with a hedge trimmer. Leave all wood, but if you wish you can cut out all dead wood. Interestingly enough, experts that have experimented with both the moderate and easy care method, report that there are no noticeable differences later on in the growth and bloom of the bush.

The time of year for pruning roses depends on where you live. It is a good idea to prune back long canes in the fall before winter winds and storms can cause windrock or loosening of the roots. You can also avoid damage or breakage of long canes if they are slightly cut back at this time. Usually the best time to prune is in the early spring just as you see the new growth beginning to bud. A word of caution: pruning too early may cause buds to start growing in mild weather only to be killed by a late frost. Pruning too late may weaken the plant, as the sap will have already begun to flow and pruning would cause loss of sap. You must be the judge of the correct time in your particular area and climactic condition. You can be safe to prune when all chance of freezing is past.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

First day warm enough near Valentines for me.

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

I may pull out the hedgetrimmers tomorrow. If I wait any longer I'll be cutting of more buds than are forming today.

I keep telling all my plants that this weater is a trick. But maybe they know something I don't.

First tulip flower popped out today!

c

• random_harvest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I've got many buds also. I wonder what would happen if I treated them all like climbers and waited until after the first flush to prune? But I can't help thinking we've still got nasty cold ahead of us.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Count on it, random...............if not in February, then even worse.............in March !!!!

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

I agree with you both. If those that really need to be pruned were not by my driveway, I think I'd let them be.

But I look at the buds, think about the future cold that will likely come and talk myself into cutting them back hard now. Then I look ahead 10 days on the local weather site and think maybe I'll just cut out a spot for my car or pretend it isn't really a driveway at all.

What an extraordinary year. Gotta go out and try to talk the tulips into waiting for a couple of weeks. Not very successful.

c

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

I am further south than you, but I pruned my roses last weekend, and pruned off blooms when I did. I think the reason they suggest you wait till Valentines day, is so you won't promote new growth that can get burnt by a freeze, but if you have new growth already?
    Jim

• carrie751
    12 years ago

You are correct, Jim, about not wanting to promote new growth, but if you prune them and they get new growth that gets frozen back, then you have to prune even deeper to cut that off. This is why I wait.

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

What about 'old roses'? I've got a Duchesse de Brabant, which I have never pruned. It must be pruned because it encroaches on the sidewalk. That rose has been green and leafy all winter long. I have read about pruning so much that all is confusion! It seems that 'old roses' have different pruning requirements than newer roses.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I have lots of new growth on mine and am waiting .. I just know there is gonna be some nasty before its over.

I'll try to go find a mesquite tree and see if there's any buds on it yet or not.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

so we just have to get through Feb/March ??

Isn't that what we've been saying all along? :)

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

Well, I didn't have the heart to cut off the new growth so I cut out dead wood and decided to wait and watch them. Who knows, Maybe I won't cut them back until after the big show. Right now, the show has begun.

• random_harvest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are all wise to advocate caution but I went ahead and cut mine back anyhow. They're mostly tough antiques that usually take my ineptitude in stride. When that ice storm comes roaring through in a few weeks, I'll be back here looking for sympathy. :-)

• sfmathews
    12 years ago

This is what Northaven Gardens in Dallas said:
    Due to the lovely warm weather, we're pruning our roses this week instead of around Valentine's Day. If you live farther north, you have a few more weeks to get this done. This Saturday at 1:30, learn to "Properly Prune Roses".

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

"They" say wait until the Forsythia are in bloom. Mine, wimpy as it is, is not in bloom yet, but the closer to Valentines Day, weather permitting, I'm going to prune, at least the climbers, they sure need it to train along the fence...

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm