Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

vinca and asiatic jasmine

Not really a question, but ...

I have a shady back yard (live oak, cedar elm), and in the two decades I've lived here, it has been thick with asiatic jasmine. Wonderful ground cover. When I moved in, it seemed to be intermixed with some vinca, but that vinca gradually disappeared, and I haven't seen it for maybe 5-8 years. The jasmine just took over. No problem. I figured the vinca was gone.

But after the bad drought last summer, the jasmine got walloped. I hadn't watered it (I never did, in the last 20 years), and it mostly died back. No problem, as it's starting to return. BUT what is rocketing out of the dead jasmine vines is vinca. It's baaaack. Little leaves of jasmine here and there, in between foot high dark green glossy clumps of vinca. Whoa.

So it the vinca going to take over? At least right now, it's growing a LOT faster than the jasmine.

Now, I like both of these ground-covers, so it really doesn't matter, but how do they compare in care and maintenance, especially as it gets hot? For me, the jasmine has required essentially zero.

Comments (4)