Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow and Black Bird ID?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 17:18

Can anyone identify this yellow and black bird? The video was taken in San Antonio on Feb. 27. I can't find it in my bird book.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube yellow bird ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow and Black Bird ID?

A cowardly black bird?

o

Hahaha! Or a black bird that sat down in the yellow paint that I'm using on some pots!

BTW, I can find black and yellow birds, but not with the same pattern this one shows.

o

I went to the GW Birding forum and lo and behold someone else from central Texas is looking for an ID of a yellow and black bird :-)

The picture in my book, "The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds" shows the Lesser Goldfinch from the top with less yellow showing so I didn't recognize it.

There are some great pictures of this little bird on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird ID'd ..

o

I've been enjoying seeing those goldfinches in my back yard for quite some time now! The males especially are gorgeous! BTW, now I've got the Pipevine Swallowtails all over my Carolina Jessamine blooms, roselee.

o

How neat Linda -- gold finches AND Pipevine Swallowtails! I guess the swallowtails will be laying eggs early on the pipevines this year. I'm seeing sulfer butterflies now, too.

BTW, I SO appreciate the 'blue crown' passi vine you passed along at last fall's San Antonio Swap. It did great in the green house over the winter and I have the perfect spot picked out to plant it in the ground today. With another variety that Kathy gave me, my pink one and the small native Passi Lutea I hope I'll have plenty for the Gulf Frits this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taking a page out of Kathy's book :-)

o

Well, I've seen a Gulf Fritillary in my yard alredy, so that's another one that'll be laying eggs soon...if it hasn't already.

o

Finally got a pic of this yellow and black bird..Landed on a stem in my back. YARD..Just made my day

o

Might check this link....don't know how to do the good ones.
My thinking is yellow breasted blackbird....Look them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIyMOWKqYBk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here