Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pipevine Swallowtail Sighting Today ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 19:02

Was I ever surprised to look out and see what looked like butterflies all over the large winter honeysuckle bush. I thought, "No, it must be some kind of small black birds that are migrating through." Whatever it was, birds or butterflies, I wanted a picture so I grabbed my camera and rushed out there.

Here's what I found ...

They look fresh, like they just recently eclosed, two males and a female, I think. Isn't this a little early, or shall we hope it is a sign for an early spring this year?

The winter honeysuckle is the only thing blooming for them to eat and they are certainly taking advantage of it. Two hours later they are still out there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pipevine Swallowtail Sighting Today ...

Those are beautiful butterflies and great pictures of a usually difficult subject.

I haven't seen them here yet, but will keep looking. Today while I was out I even checked the area where I found the pipevine last year hoping it will return again.

o

I may find some room for Winter Honeysuckle. I have no flowers except hybrid pansy and violets. Those are very pretty pictures. You caught the butterflies' coloring just right.

o

I have seen yellow sulfurs all winter this year. Where do they go when it gets so cold.

o

That's great, Roselee! I've seen sulfurs lately, but don't have anything blooming except for rosemary.

o

How exciting............could we actually have an early Spring this year? That would suit me just fine.

o

There's only two Pipevine butterflies out there today along with a few bees. Yea for the bees! Last year I didn't see any until midsummer. Guess the third butterfly is checking out the woods, or whatever.

BTW, I buried some low branches of the Winter honeysuckle bush last year in hopes that they would root and I could pass starts plant around. Well, I just potted up 13 good size plants with lots of roots in 1 gal. and 2 gal pots so I'll have enough for just about anybody who attends the San Antonio Plant Swap, otherwise known as the SAPS (for Plants :-)

o

Those are so gorgeous! The winter honeysuckles look pretty. I wonder if I could convince DH to take a trip to San Antonio......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here