Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to plant poppy seeds?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 19:07

I collected some seeds of a purple poppy a couple of years ago and keep forgetting to plant them in the fall. It's a fairly short variety. What do you think their chances are if I plant them now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to plant poppy seeds?

I think it is too late. They will sprout but stay tiny. That has been my experience.

o

you may as well. Your odds are already slim because they don't like to wait. I had a bag of bread poppie seeds I bought from Penzey's spices. I figured they would be fresh because of their volume. But I didn't plant for 2 years. They spent a year in the back of my fridge and it looks like I have 1-2 plants out there.

sorry
c

o

Thanks to you both now I know poppy seeds should be planted FRESH and in the FALL!

o

I have poppies, gazillions of poppies, anywhere from 2" to 6" tall right now, but if were you, I'd go ahead and plant them. Chances are, you'll forget again in the fall anyway. Ha!Ha!

Jim

o

You're right Jim! Why not give them a chance and see what happens just for fun? But with the knowledge I've gained I won't have any great expectations and therefore no disappointments -- which is pretty much the way I garden anyway. If things go well that's fine, and if they don't go well that's fine too :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here