Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant identification... Please help!

Posted by Storm18 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 19:25

We just moved and the garden area is surrounded by mystery plants. Any clue as to what these plants are would be so appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant identification... Please help!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeagnus

Here is a link that might be useful: Elaeagnus

o

Not sure why someone would plant this. It is branching out like crazy crowding out a plum tree. I've been pruning it, but I'm not sure it is edible or which species of elaeagnus it is if that's what it is.

o

We moved into a new house last year. The landscaper had planted something like ten of those in my flower bed in front of the windows. I couldn't get them out of the garden fast enough. They don't stay close enough to size or shape for very long. The roots are supposed to be aggressive also.

o

Well, I love mine, but I have acreage and planted them in a place where size is not a problem. The cardinals nest in them, and twice a year they have the most aromatic blooms.

o

Elaeagnus is on the invasive plant list in many states.....Texas, for example. It's a good idea to do a quick search to see if this plant is on that list in your state.

If you've ever helped conduct a parkland cleanup of invasive thugs in your community, you'd never want to contribute to the problem. My suggestion is that you remove the plants, not only for their potential to cause ecological damage but because they are so unsuitable as a landscape ornamental.

o

Mine are 22 years old, and I am not so inclined to remove them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here