Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texjan_gw

lime green colored plants

texjan
15 years ago

Okay, I would like to plant some lime green colored plants to go with my white and purple flowers....any ideas for full sun??

Comments (19)

• knittlin
    15 years ago

'Ogon' sedum or the chartreuse ornamental sweet potato vine? The sweet potato will need more water than the sedum, so if your white and purple flowers need regular water it would be a good choice. If they're more drought tolerant, the sedum would be better. Also, the sedum is supposed to be fairly reliably hardy, but the sweet potatoes sometimes aren't, so it'd be a good idea to overwinter some cuttings as insurance to be able to have them again next year. The sweet potatoes are super easy from cuttings ~ just root them in water and pot up, or stick them directly in potting soil and keep wet until they put on new leaves or give some resistance when you tug on them lightly.

I've grown the sweet potato and love it, but not the sedum. However, we just got some of the Ogon sedum in at the nursery today where I work so I did get to see it in person. It's really a pretty plant.

• texjan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oohhhh! Those are pretty! I'll definitely check it out!

• texjan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The sedum is delicate and requires shade--I really liked the way it looks but I don't think it would last long. I'm still looking for something in the lime green family that can take South all day sun....

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

I purchased Ogon sedum earlier in the year. Now that I know it won't take sun I may have to move it.

I got a four in. pot of the succulent pictured below at Schumacher's yesterday, but don't know the name or how much sun it will take. I'll try it and see. Maybe I should put the picture on 'Name That Plant' and hopefully then be able search out some more info on it.

There was some discussion about a lime green elephant ear "Lime zinger" last year, or the year before.

Anybody have any reports to make on that cultivar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lime zinger ...

• knittlin
    15 years ago

Are you sure it requires shade, Texjan? The link I gave for it above says it'll take full sun or shade. I think the labels on the ones at work say the same. I know we keep the pots in full sun and they do just fine. But there's a comment at the link above that says it turns bright yellow in full sun, so maybe that's what you mean (that it requires shade to be lime green)?

The only other lime green plant I've noticed so far is Creeping Charlie, but that's a shade plant. :( There is a variegated oregano called Jim's Best that's yellow/green. Oregano takes full sun, but that one might not be the color you're looking for.

I'll keep thinking and looking around at the nursery for other ideas for you.

• texjan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I may be getting mixed messages. When I went to the link that you posted it did say full sun or part shade. When I went to another link it said that it was delicate and required a lot of water and shade. Who knows? When I went to Maas they had it placed under the greenhouse where they keep the shade plants. I got too scared that it may not be able to take the sun that I have.
    I really like the way it looks so I think I'm gonna take my chances. I'll post pics when I get to the plant store and get it planted. Succulents are just cool and the color is too die for.
    I like the picture of the other succulent too.

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Lime zinger xanthosoma

Heuchera Key Lime

There is a new four o'clock that has limegreen flowers.

Crystal Palace pelargonium or Occold Gold

Artemesia Limelight

Coleus "pineapple", 'Electric Lime'

Iresine 'Blazin lime'

Nicotiana alata 'Lime Green'

Heuchera 'Lime Ricky'

Tomatoe 'lime green salad'

Echinacea purpurea 'Green eyes'

And I saw a lime green looking sunflower seed package at Walmart-I think they were Burpees.
    Tally HO!

• texjan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beachplant, we can always count on you! You have so much knowledge. Thanks!

• jardineratx
    15 years ago

I have both the Ogon sedum (container grown) and the "Marguerite" (chartreuse potato vine) in full sun. Both of them have wintered over with no protection the last 2 winters in my zone (40 miles nw of houston). The potato vine foliage is very sensitive to cold, but has been root hardy. The sedum did have some cold damage, but all I had to do was remove some of the damaged stems.

Molly

• birdbite
    15 years ago

Martha's Bloomers has a shrimp plant that has lime green flowers, also there is always foxtail fern that kind-of glows a lime green in the sun.

• dirtmecnanic
    15 years ago

Found a lime-green ground cover last year at Plant Shed called Moneywort. It gets mid-morning sun and did quite well, spilling over rock border. It appears to have overwintered and sprouted in amongst the grass. Looked handsome in the spring and really took off when it got some fertilizer. Don't know how it would do in full afternoon sun

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

I've seen the lime green moneywort and it is beautiful.

I ran across pictures of Fruit cocktail shrimp and Pretoria canna. Not sure the shrimp would take full sun but the canna would.

• birdbite
    15 years ago

wow-that fruit cocktail shrimp plant is beautiful!

• rock_oak_deer
    15 years ago

My favorite lime green plant is Helichrysum Limelight. This link states it needs part sun/shade. I have grown it in full sun, but that was in Zone 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limelight

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    15 years ago

sedum palmerii, gold leafed tansy, gold leafed pineapple sage.(has red flowers too!)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

That tansy is gorgeous!

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Ooops, limelight four o'clock has lime green FOLIAGE not flowers. I'm senile sometimes.
    The fruit cocktail shrimp plant wasn't salt tolerant. The white one did fine but the rest.....rip.
    Tally HO!

• sfmathews
    15 years ago

How about Envy, lime green zinnia?

Here is a link that might be useful: Envy