Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lime green colored plants

Posted by texjan z8b (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 19:47

Okay, I would like to plant some lime green colored plants to go with my white and purple flowers....any ideas for full sun??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lime green colored plants

'Ogon' sedum or the chartreuse ornamental sweet potato vine? The sweet potato will need more water than the sedum, so if your white and purple flowers need regular water it would be a good choice. If they're more drought tolerant, the sedum would be better. Also, the sedum is supposed to be fairly reliably hardy, but the sweet potatoes sometimes aren't, so it'd be a good idea to overwinter some cuttings as insurance to be able to have them again next year. The sweet potatoes are super easy from cuttings ~ just root them in water and pot up, or stick them directly in potting soil and keep wet until they put on new leaves or give some resistance when you tug on them lightly.

I've grown the sweet potato and love it, but not the sedum. However, we just got some of the Ogon sedum in at the nursery today where I work so I did get to see it in person. It's really a pretty plant.

o

oohhhh! Those are pretty! I'll definitely check it out!

o

The sedum is delicate and requires shade--I really liked the way it looks but I don't think it would last long. I'm still looking for something in the lime green family that can take South all day sun....

o

I purchased Ogon sedum earlier in the year. Now that I know it won't take sun I may have to move it.

I got a four in. pot of the succulent pictured below at Schumacher's yesterday, but don't know the name or how much sun it will take. I'll try it and see. Maybe I should put the picture on 'Name That Plant' and hopefully then be able search out some more info on it.

There was some discussion about a lime green elephant ear "Lime zinger" last year, or the year before.

Anybody have any reports to make on that cultivar?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lime zinger ...

o

Are you sure it requires shade, Texjan? The link I gave for it above says it'll take full sun or shade. I think the labels on the ones at work say the same. I know we keep the pots in full sun and they do just fine. But there's a comment at the link above that says it turns bright yellow in full sun, so maybe that's what you mean (that it requires shade to be lime green)?

The only other lime green plant I've noticed so far is Creeping Charlie, but that's a shade plant. :( There is a variegated oregano called Jim's Best that's yellow/green. Oregano takes full sun, but that one might not be the color you're looking for.

I'll keep thinking and looking around at the nursery for other ideas for you.

o

I may be getting mixed messages. When I went to the link that you posted it did say full sun or part shade. When I went to another link it said that it was delicate and required a lot of water and shade. Who knows? When I went to Maas they had it placed under the greenhouse where they keep the shade plants. I got too scared that it may not be able to take the sun that I have.
I really like the way it looks so I think I'm gonna take my chances. I'll post pics when I get to the plant store and get it planted. Succulents are just cool and the color is too die for.
I like the picture of the other succulent too.

o

Lime zinger xanthosoma

Heuchera Key Lime

There is a new four o'clock that has limegreen flowers.

Crystal Palace pelargonium or Occold Gold

Artemesia Limelight

Coleus "pineapple", 'Electric Lime'

Iresine 'Blazin lime'

Nicotiana alata 'Lime Green'

Heuchera 'Lime Ricky'

Tomatoe 'lime green salad'

Echinacea purpurea 'Green eyes'

And I saw a lime green looking sunflower seed package at Walmart-I think they were Burpees.
Tally HO!

o

Beachplant, we can always count on you! You have so much knowledge. Thanks!

o

I have both the Ogon sedum (container grown) and the "Marguerite" (chartreuse potato vine) in full sun. Both of them have wintered over with no protection the last 2 winters in my zone (40 miles nw of houston). The potato vine foliage is very sensitive to cold, but has been root hardy. The sedum did have some cold damage, but all I had to do was remove some of the damaged stems.

Molly

o

How about Bulbine? It LOVES full sun and in addition to the evergreen lime green foliage, it has orange-yellow flowers spring through frost.

As a bonus, it's a low water user.

o

Martha's Bloomers has a shrimp plant that has lime green flowers, also there is always foxtail fern that kind-of glows a lime green in the sun.

o

Found a lime-green ground cover last year at Plant Shed called Moneywort. It gets mid-morning sun and did quite well, spilling over rock border. It appears to have overwintered and sprouted in amongst the grass. Looked handsome in the spring and really took off when it got some fertilizer. Don't know how it would do in full afternoon sun

o

I've seen the lime green moneywort and it is beautiful.

I ran across pictures of Fruit cocktail shrimp and Pretoria canna. Not sure the shrimp would take full sun but the canna would.

o

wow-that fruit cocktail shrimp plant is beautiful!

o

My favorite lime green plant is Helichrysum Limelight. This link states it needs part sun/shade. I have grown it in full sun, but that was in Zone 6.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limelight

o

sedum palmerii, gold leafed tansy, gold leafed pineapple sage.(has red flowers too!)

o

That tansy is gorgeous!

o

Ooops, limelight four o'clock has lime green FOLIAGE not flowers. I'm senile sometimes.
The fruit cocktail shrimp plant wasn't salt tolerant. The white one did fine but the rest.....rip.
Tally HO!

o

How about Envy, lime green zinnia?

Here is a link that might be useful: Envy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here