Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To prune or not to prune???

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:03

Hi All
What will you do with you roses? This has been another early spring...or so it seems. Thought I'd prune some shrub roses today and discovered they are already budding.

I
m sure I am not alone. What will you do? I'm tempted to fertilize them and watch the show then prune back later.

How about you?

c

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To prune or not to prune???

A lot of my roses are budding too, but I pruned them as usual last weekend. I will fertilize them in early March.

o

Here in San Antonio they say Valentines day.

o

That is when I prune mine also, Kathy. Just hope it is as pretty on Valentine's Day as it was today. Mine have new growth as well.

o

I might leave the Saint Anne that is stunted by her place in the garden and prune back Ducher and Old Blush. We'll se how stron I am when the buds are smiling at me. I just read that Neil Sperry says to move pruning roses up a week: Now!
thank you
c

o

My roses are budding early, too, with this warm weather, so am planning to start pruning in the next few days. Don't really prune my old roses, just let them do what they're going to do as I don't mind the out of control look on my back fence, but do prune the climbers to keep them (sort) of in bounds. Mme Alfred de Carriere especially is a monster! Like msjam, will put alfalfa fertilizer on them sometime in early March.

Now watch us get sleet, snow and ice this month just to confuse everything!

o

Last spring I just couldn't prune my roses in Feb because they were budding... by May I was sorry I didn't. I vowed to never put it off again. :)

o

I usually prune my roses the week of Valentine's day, but this year I started several days ago since they are putting out new foliage already and our temps don't drop low enough in my area to damage my roses. If I wait longer, I will be pruning out bloom buds and I know I cannot make myself do that. I pruned pretty lightly, except for a couple of Buck roses that I did cut pretty hard (need the space).
Molly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here