Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow in Summer Asian Jasmine

Posted by rachel77 7 TX (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 20:08

Anyone tried it? It would be in a contained area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow in Summer Asian Jasmine

Are you sure this plant is related to Asian Jasmin? It's attractive, but said not to tolerate heat well.

o

It's supposed to be a new cultivar. I saw it at a nursery last year. If you google it, it comes up.

o

I did, and came up with a low, blooming, cool weather groundcover called cerastium tomentosum, which would not appear, as far as I can make it out, to be related to trachaelospermum asiaticum, aka "Asian jasmine."

o

Hmmm. What I read said it was heat tolerant
But that doesn't usually mean squat here in tx, eh?
It felt like Asian jasmine when I pawed it. I'll call our local nursery and see if it really is Asian jasmine. Interesting! Thanks.

o

When I googled "Snow in Summer Asian Jasmine" all the links list it as Trachelospermum asiaticum 'HOSNS'.

It's a very pretty plant and looks like it is certainly worth a try. Let us know how it does for you if you get it.

If you just google "Snow in Summer" you'll getcerastium tomentosum. I seem to recall there are several plants commonly called "Snow in Summer".

Here is a link that might be useful: Trachelospermum asiaticum 'HOSNS'

o

The description I read said it was suitable for zone 7 and points north.

o

Looks like Snow-in-Summer and Snow-N-Summer are indeed different plants.

o

Rachel,
Have you tried the jasmine?
I saw it about 3-4 weeks ago at a nursery and paid 8.00 for a very small pot of it.
I feel in love with the color of the leaves.
It is hardy here outside, but it is so small I am going to grow it out inside for the winter.
I also cut 2 small pieces of it off and am trying to root it so I have more of it.
I couldn't afford to buy any more than one small container of it that day. 8.00, wow, I hope it grows good for me.
Did you buy it? How did it grow?
See how pretty it is.
Photobucket

o

I'm so jealous! The garden center where I saw it was out and never got any more in. Let me know how it grows! I might have to order some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here