Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Turkey Fig

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 20:10

Hi All
My Celeste looks lovely! Fat green tips to her branches, the promise of fruit and foliage is obvious. She came in a 6 inch pot in January 2011. She's upright with a few tall branches over 6 ft tall.

But my Brown Turkey has brown, dry tips. Perhaps it was more sensitive to the December winter. Do you have any thoughts?

It isn't a big plant but it has many branches and is about 3 feet tall. It came branched like this in a 3 gallon pot in Summer 2011. No fruit 2012, but foliage. I was hoping for a fig shrub.

BTW isn't this the best time to be in Texas?
c

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Turkey Fig

My brown turkey fig isn't budding yet, Cynthia. I am not concerned about that though.

o

Thanks Carrie that gives me hope. My husband says to go get a different one, I'm holding strong.

Do the tips look dried and brown on yours? Maybe yours is too tall to see.
thanks again
c

o

Cynthia, since this is my favorite fig, I would never be without one. I don't fret about when it buds as it always comes out in time to give me a crop of sweet, delicious figs. I eat only the raw ones (make preserves for DH), and often they are my breakfast as I go around the tree on my mower. Just give it time, I think it won't disappoint you.

o

Thanks Carrie!I'll tell him to be patient :+) C

o

My brown turkey here in Waco area is a tree with a perimeter of 4'. It's 10 yrs old. I planted a twig I took off a mother tree in Dallas. It's huge. We average 300-500 figs twice a season if we get normal rain. It's been so dry, we've only got half that once a yr. I love them fresh. I make preserves for presents. I love my fig. Never had one make a tree before, always a bush. I noticed today the buds have turned green. It's 83 here today. Hot all week. Scares me as to what summer brings.

o

Thank you hilary49...you give me hope. Did you notice if the tips were brown before and then they turned green? Can you tell where this plant is concerned I am all green?

o

My mission fig had brown tips. I noticed one splitting so I took off the brown bit and it was green underneath. Could just be the dormant phase before leaves come.

o

Thank you! that is good news.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here