Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulip planting and care

Posted by crisslyon 8b Tx (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 20:15

My favorite flowers are tulips and my hubby bought me some potted ones in full bloom for v-day (smart man). I'm not one to grow something that I can't eat or use in some way but I don't want to throw them out. I want to plant them in my perennial herb/medicinal flower bed but I hear they don't come back well here because of the mild winters. Do I....

Let them continue growing in the pots until the foliage dies back then pull and dry the bulbs and store in the fridge until next spring or...

Plant then dig up in the fall for the fridge or....

Whatever way it's supposed to actually be done??? Anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulip planting and care

If I were going to try to save them, I would allow them to stay in the pot, with fertilizer of some sort until the foliage turns brown and the bulb is fed for next year.

I would pull them out and allow them to dry. Then I would store in a paper bag in a cool dry place, maybe a closet until October. Then I would chill in the fridge until Christmas and then plant, expecting flower about this time or later next year depending upon the type of tulip you have.

Caveat: When you lift the bulb, you may notice that instead of one big fat bulb, your bulb is more like a head of garlic...lots of little cloves. That is because the growers have allowed your big bulbs to grow but not flower for at least 2 years before they arrived in your pot. You may be disappointed in the flowers next year. Not simply because you went to so much trouble to deny that you live in a warm climate, but because it takes a long time to raise those gorgeous flowers.

Lest you think I am a opposed to tulips, I am in fact a bulbaholic and have planted 2100 tulips, again, this year.

Wishing you happy flowers
c

o
RE: Tulip planting and care

Wow that's a lot of tulips! thanks! Excellent information & I think I'll do just that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here