Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Poppies are way too thick

I have been weeding out my poppies. I think ever seed dropped by every poppy in the last 10 years has germinated this year. I have THOUSANDS of them. It looks like grass, it os so thick. SO, do you guys weed out every one and give a good space between them so they will grow large. or do you go for the most one can fit in a small space. I am weeding and composting.

Comments (10)

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

I've never grown poppies, but keep thinking about it. Are they blooming? I'd love to see a picture when they bloom. If they reseed so easily, I REALLY want to grow them!

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

I try to thin them to about 6" apart, but usually give up after awhile. They do transplant pretty well while they're tiny.
    Jim

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They reseed, in a normal garden. I don't water so having them reseed this voraciously is all about the well timed rains that we have had. I love my annuals that reseed. I do need to get out and do some more weeding. They bloom in march and that is often a windy time so plant them where they get a bit of protection because the petals get torn off in a good gale. Where I live is very windy. My Lawn cahairs are always being blown off the porch.

I have a lot more weeding to do. I planted some down at my meeting house , But they are everywhere here that I want them. I am almost staring to see them as invasive. I am protecting my small agaves and other wild flowers from them. They have definitely stepped out of their allotted footprint. My site is on a hill and they are flowing downhill.

Thank you Jim for the inch measurement.

• castro_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Mara ! What kind of poppies do you have ? I have the peony poppies and the foliage on those are quite large compared to regular poppies. Those I do have to weed quite drastically because the plants get so large. Especially when they are growing next to my other perennials. The smaller poppies haven't come up as thickly as the peony poppies. I love them, though ! A neighbor down the road used to grow them in a small field in their front yard. It was so cool seeing them in the spring.

So, you planning to make one of the swaps ? Would love to have you attend the event in San Antonio. You are welcome to come and may consider yourself personally invited !

patty

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Mara, I was wondering the same thing about the larkspurs that are coming up so thick. I don't know about poppies, but I've never thinned larkspurs before and they didn't seem to mind, but this year they are REALLY thick. With the poppies I guess it is like Patty says -- depends on the type.

And yes, we'd love to have the honor of your presence at the San Antonio swap! Please come and bring all the Austin and Buda bunch with you :-)

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Never had a problem with them being too close together they help support each other the same with larkspurs. When they grow wild in the field the weeds help support them.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used to have the peony poppies but they disappeared unless they came up this year too. I never know till they bloom. Mostly red, pink,lavender and purple bread poppies. They have been having poppy sex. I have a salmon colored smaller papaver that i collected when I was in France. I think they came back. i think i have some californian poppies. And damn it I saw some more sprouting today!!!!! Tiny little things.
    I don't really have much to bring to the swap. some roving sailor plants, some of the heterothecas. I will have to look around. The garden is still recouping and I have really gone native, since most of the other stuff has died. Hell, most of the natives died but they are coming back in spades so I guess I can always dig some of them up. A few agave parryi huachensis, some cylindropuntias. Plants that are usually not to popular.

I guess I better go plant something.

• maden_theshade
    12 years ago

I'm jealous! I've put out poppy seeds over and over again, and am lucky to see one or two plants come up. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Are your seeds old? I have heard that old seeds don't sprout. But I have not had that problem. Do you put them out in early December? I find that getting them out then is good. If you get them out late , they stay small.. I did not plant this year. LOL.....or I can't remember planting. All I can say is this wind we are getting (gust uop to 40 MPH today) is going to rip them apart.

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Maden theshade I do hope you broadcasted your seeds last fall. Looks like I will only get purple poppies again this year, this all from a package of "Red Poppies"?