Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willow1987

Persimmon care in North Texas

willow1987
13 years ago

I was wondering if anyone had any luck growing persimmons. I'm really interested in growing one next year and I was wondering what care they need in this area (Plano) and if they are fast growers. Thank you

Comments (10)

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

I would check with your local extension agent and your master gardener in the area. I do know we had them growing wild in Maryland so they should be hardy, depending on the variety.

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Wally. I didnt think of that. I have contacted the master gardeners for this area before. I know my mom had one in her yard when she was growing up but the only thing she could say about it was that it attracted alot of webworms LOL. I guess I will contact the master gardeners today to find out if they grow fast here or if it needs a certain type of soil. Thanks

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Hi Willow! I've grown persimmons in a couple of yards I've gardened on and have a young tree now. I dearly love the tree and the fruit. I think they'd be considered moderate growers, plus they begin to produce fruit while fairly young. The trees I've purchased have been eight tall or so and in five gal. pots. Not sure how old they are. Fanick's in San Antonio sells that size for about $45.00.

Also if you do a search for 'Persimmon' a thread will come up where persimmons were discussed on this forum last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of persimmons from a small tree on Conscious Gardening Blog ...

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

Hi Willow - I have a couple non-astringent persimmon (Fuyu and Coffeecake) at my place in east Texas. They seem to be doing okay - fruit the first year but none last year - or at least none that I got.

What I love about this tree is that, in addition to the fruit, they have the most gorgeous fall color you'll ever see.

I bought the Fuyu at Mike's Garden Center and the Coffeecake at Redenta's Garden. I think I need a pollinator for Coffeecake so I'll be on the lookout for Chocolate.

Lin

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information. I think I saw Fuyu last year at Lowes so I'm going to look there again. I never know when they have new shipments for trees so I'll keep my eyes open. That's another thing i would like, nice fall color. I guess moderate growth is still pretty good, I'll just have to read about soil conditions. I wonder if I should use fruit tree fertilizer or just the regular tree fertilizer? Thanks I'll definitely look through the threads.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

I know it's far for you, but Weston Gardens in Bloom is having a fruit and berries event next weekend (Saturday and Sunday). They're supposed to feature those that do well here.

I hope to make it there one day on the weekend. They're also supposed to have their best fruit and berry inventory at this time. They're a little more expensive than the big box stores, but if you can get things that do well here, that's a plus.

Lin

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Lin, Thats the first time i've heard of them. I would love to try to make it there too one day. I'm going to check out their website. I definitely want to grow fruit trees that can adapt to this climate. I have a peach tree but its a bad quality tree.

Cameron

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    13 years ago

Cameron, if you make it out to Weston's, plan to spend some time at the estate across the street - it's a big demo garden. This time of year you'll only be able to see the "bones" of the garden - shrubs and trees, and evergreen perennials - but they may have a persimmon tree or two planted there - I know they have Jujubes, but I thought I read that the Westons had some persimmons as well.

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Weston Gardens in Bloom

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the link Lin. I definitely want to check it out when i can. I've never been to a demo garden but I would love to go to one. I'll have to convince my mom and sister to go lol. I'm trying to come up with ideas for a garden for next year.

Cameron