Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeepman69_gw

Turface in SA?

jeepman69
12 years ago

Does anyone know a supplier for Turface in the San Antonio area?

Thank you for any help.

Glenn

Comments (5)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I have been buying 50 lb bags of turface are the John Deer Landscape, off Lockhill Selma Road and 1604. I have been paying $12 a bag. I found chicken gritt at the tractor supply store in Aransas Pass. I could only find pigeon gritt in San Antonio. Barbra

• jeepman69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Barbra! I googled it and found one right around the corner from where I work. I have been able to locate everything else on the list. I found the chicken grit today on my way home at a feed store in New Braunfels $7.00 for a 50# bag, while I was there I also stumbled also the gypsum(literally stumbled over a bag while looking at the little hatchling chickens LOL). It was only $4.60 for a small bag. The bark I pick up at Pets Smart, so all that is left is the Turface. Thanks again!

Glenn

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Glenn, when I called that was the only John Deer Landscape store in San Antonio that carried All Pro turface, it was not at the other store. You might want to call first. The John Deer store off Lockhill Selma and 1604 closes at 4pm, in case you need to come over here. You would get off at Lockhill Selma exit, then turn inside the loop, take the first street to your right, follow it around the cornor, the store will be on your right. I made hugh amounts of the gritty mix. I then asked the place where I buy my plumeria in Florida, and was told to add some good potting soil. I then called the Corpus Christi Plumeria society. I talked to Frank and Bill. Both said they use 1/3 good potting soil, and 2/3 parts large landscape perlite. All 3 told me the gritty mix is perfect for rooting cuttings, but they would all add some good potting soil to the mix. Last year I used 1 bag miracle grow, 1/2 bag of crushed lava rock and 2 bags of perlite and my plants did great. My plants are in Rockport in full sun. I am so confused I wish I knew what I should do, I cannot be there to water every day. I come down on the weekends during the summer. Barbra

• jeepman69
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Barbara, you saved me again! I called ahead today and they said the same thing you did, but where able to have some brought over from the other store for me. Glad I called ahead. I am fairly new to growing any kind of plant so I really can't say for sure if the gritty mix will work for your plumeria. I am not even sure it will work for my succulants and cactus but from what I have read it seems to be the ticket for most of them so I am going to give it a try. I will let you know how it all works out. I have tried growing some over the last few years with limited success so my goal this year is to try and improve my skills. : )

• jandey1
    12 years ago

Barbra, I'm so glad I saw you post over here about the addition of potting soil to the mix. I know Al emphasizes particle size in the science of gritty mix, but all the rooted plants I've bought from Texas growers had some soil (sometimes a lot) in their pots. Confusing!

Btw, I managed to make at least twenty 1-3 gallon pots of mix using one bag of Turface MVP. I still have about 1/3 of the bag left, too. Probably using too little of the Turface, but it sure has made up more mix than I expected for my $15 investment.

Jen

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio