Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

garden hose reel...do you like yours?

cynthianovak
13 years ago

Hi All

I need to replace my reel....again. Determined to find one that was reasonably well made, hopefully with brass connectors and willing to accept an industrial look I have come up empty.

I am probably the last to discover that there are 2 manufacturers: Suncast and Ames. Everything is made of plastic but the proce can vary from $35 to $120 but it seems they are made out of junk.

Anyone have any solutions? I have a 100 ft heavy duty hose that I use all over the front yard. I should reel it back up but would like to find a reel that someone likes.

thanks all

cynthia

Comments (14)

• shebear
    13 years ago

Is this hose reel made out of plastic? It doesn't look like it to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: hose reel

• tx_ag_95
    13 years ago

The one I have came with the house and I'm not sure I like the idea of a reel. It doesn't seem to be much/any easier than pulling the hose in and coiling it on the ground (or into a large pot). The one I have is definitely plastic, and I've used it to pull the hose in about as much as I've just pulled the hose in by hand in long loops over the driveway that separates the faucet from the yard. I have a "holder" in the front yard to loop the hose over, but I don't see an advantage to it or the reel, sorry.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

I don't use a reel either, as it is much harder for me than just pulling and coiling. I use this method on all my longer hoses, but use the "holder" for the short hose at the back, and have one on the fence post in one area.

• dkv-texas
    13 years ago

I found this at Lowes 1/2 off last season:
    http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Garden-Products-Decorative-Non-Rust/dp/B00215LFZQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1298311324&sr=8-6

It was the only all metal reel I could find, the fittings are brass and it is very sturdy. The description shows 125 feet, but my 75 ft. heavy duty hose barely fits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liberty Hose Reel

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dkv-texas....that one is lovely! But not big enough....darn! I'd have to drill into the brick too.
    shebear: I've seen this one too. I don't need to wheel it around but I might go with it.

I think I may just coil it up myself too. Get a big pot and at least it would look better than it does now which is all over the yard. The heavy duty hose is great but it is heavy!

hmmm, I don't know what I'll end up doing, but at the moment, the thought of a big pot for about the same price as a reel is appealing.

thank you all
    you are the best!
    cynthia

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

Mine came from Lowe's many years ago, and yes, it is plastic, but it has held up very well. I just went out to look at it and it has a web site written on it www.hydro-industries.com, but when I just tried their page, it wouldn't load.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

I tried a hose pot for a while, but found that it got a lot of muddy dirt settling down inside it that had to be cleaned out and also stained the hose. Now I just coil it on the ground and use the old hose pot for an agave. Don't know if others have had this problem with the hose pot, but it was a big problem for me.

• tommyjmcintosh
    13 years ago

My husband bought one for Christmas about 6 years ago. It is all metal with brass fittings and is mounted on a 4 wheel cart. It has held up very well, he thinks he got it from sam's or costco, now if I could only keep the tires aired up.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

That no crank hose reel has been on my list too, but seems not to be worth the investment at this point until there's one with better reviews out there.

• Lynn Marie
    13 years ago

http://www.no-crank.com/siteFiles/1/619/2875.asp

Here is the link to mine and it has held up very well. It's probably 4 years old and looks it, but it works perfectly!

There were several other models on the site too.

Here is a link that might be useful: No crank hose reel.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lynnemarie, that page and links to that reel go no where. It sayd the page is down for service or something....that's what it said all week.

I bought a plastic reel at Lowe's yesterday. Heading out to see if my heavy hose fits on it. I found one with aluminum connectors which should help since my hose has metal...brass connectors.

I actually found one that looked good but it was $200 so I decided I was asking for too much.

that no crank one looks reel good though
    smiles
    c

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So far I like the one I got...2 days! I tried to find an image but the online images are wrong. It must be a new version of the same ol' same 'ol. It says that it holds 225 ft of hose. I put my 100 ft heavy duty hose on it and it would be full if I had 25 more ft.

It says that suncast has a no leak guarantee.

for the record: it's the suncast hosemobile pro. Found it at Lowe's

• DRyanDrury
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post this, but I'd really love someone's help on the subject.

I have an old Ames Reel Easy poly garden hose reel and I'm curious about the water pipe inside the reel. It has three outlets, and I don't understand why. One is a tube that goes out to the short connector hose. One I would assume connects to the hose that winds around the reel, but what is the third connection for? Here's a reference: http://www.homehardware.ca/products/300/50420361.jpg

I ask because my reel has sat in my garage for a long time now, unused, because it leaks badly. I think it's because something on this piece broke. On the picture referenced above, the bottom right connection has a little piece missing from the plastic connector, but it doesn't seem enough to cause a leak. But why is this connection even there? What connects to it? It seems to me that if nothing connects to it, the water just pours out through it and that's what's happening in my case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    -Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: