Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

What kind of viburnum gets tall?

I have a spot where I like to put a carefree, fairly drought tolerant, thick, rounded, evergreen shrub that would get fairly tall, like 6 foot or so. I was thinking of a viburnum.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a type of viburnum that would get this big and that would take alkaline soil? Or maybe a cherry laurel would fit the bill. How tall do they grow?

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

I am think this is Laurustinus (V. tinus): spring bouquet, as it booms very early in March. This pic. was taken in 06 and it had been good size before that. It is growing in 3" of native soil and the rest is caliche. It looks taller than it is, as it is growing on a hill.

{{gwi:1338153}}

{{gwi:1338154}}

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dang! That is gorgeous! How long did it take to get that large? Seeing that you have the fence around it I guess the deer love it, but that's okay. I'll be planting it in the back yard and so far they haven't jumped the fence.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, Kathy.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the before and after pictures. It really did grow fast! And your picture shows the rocky calichi 'soil' we have to work with in this part of Texas. I loved seeing the picture of your hubby and mom, too.

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

Do not know about height, but these viburnums are listed as most fragrant:
    Viburnum carlesii

Viburnum farreri

Viburnum odoratissimum

Viburnum x bodnantense 'Pink Dawn'

Viburnum x burkwoodii

Viburnum x carlcephalum

Viburnum x judii

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

Sandankwa viburnum is very durable and a nice grower as well. Spring Bouquet has been pretty popular for a while now and the pix above show some off the reasons why. Odoratissimum is commonly referred to as smoothleaf viburnum and get 10-15 high so may not be a great choice if 6 foot is your stated goal height.
    Happy Growing David

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

Roselee, here is a page that furthur describes some viburums: http://www.floridata.com/ref/V/viburn_o.cfm
    Hitexplanter, do you have any idea where can I get the Odoratissimum variety (Austin)?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the names and links to cultivars Lynn and David. Now I'm really interested in viburnums!

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

Red Geranium

I don't really know the Austin nurseries that well. I would guess the Natural Gardener or the Great Outdoors would be possible ones that I would check first.
    Happy Growing David

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

There is a compact version of the Spring Bouquet that is only supposed to get around 6' tall. You might look for that. From what I've seen and read, I think most Viburnums get rather large. Remember, not all Viburnums are evergreen. I am a big fan of the Spring bouquet, though, and think that the compact Spring Bouquet would be your best bet for your size requirements.

Sally

• pricklypearsatx
    16 years ago

I agree...Dang!!! That Spring Bouquet is gorgeous. I'm adding that one to my list.

Sandankwa is another name for Suspensum, which I have in my yard and am pleased with.

Rosalee:

I saw these Vibrunum Japonicum Macrophylla at Rainbow Gardens, and liked them because they looked like magnolias. Then, I saw one growing in my neighborhood and it looked very healthy, so that made my decision. I bought one. Then another one.
    It's a larger viburnum. 10-15 feet.
    And makes a nice understory.

I don't know if anyone else is growing them? It's not an easy vibrunum to find. As a matter of fact, when I do internet searches, I can't find any information.

The only wholesale grower that I know of is Greenleaf.

The Greenleaf Description:
    LARGE LEAF VIBURNUM / Viburnum japonicum macrophyllus
    Description: Upright growing, thickly branched evergreen shrub 10 15 feet with thick, glossy, dark green foliage. Excellent for screen or individual specimen. Flowers are white and fragrant.
    Hardiness Zone: Zone 8 - Hardy to 10 to 20(F)

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum japonicum marcophyllus/Large Leaf

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting