Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of viburnum gets tall?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 08 at 22:15

I have a spot where I like to put a carefree, fairly drought tolerant, thick, rounded, evergreen shrub that would get fairly tall, like 6 foot or so. I was thinking of a viburnum.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a type of viburnum that would get this big and that would take alkaline soil? Or maybe a cherry laurel would fit the bill. How tall do they grow?

I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of viburnum gets tall?

I am think this is Laurustinus (V. tinus): spring bouquet, as it booms very early in March. This pic. was taken in 06 and it had been good size before that. It is growing in 3" of native soil and the rest is caliche. It looks taller than it is, as it is growing on a hill.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Dang! That is gorgeous! How long did it take to get that large? Seeing that you have the fence around it I guess the deer love it, but that's okay. I'll be planting it in the back yard and so far they haven't jumped the fence.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, Kathy.

o

The fence was to keep the dogs out of that area. It really did not take very long. It was not there May 29 of 1998. This is my husband and Mother at Daddy's 80th b'day.
So It was probably planted the spring of 99.

Photobucket

o

Thanks for the before and after pictures. It really did grow fast! And your picture shows the rocky calichi 'soil' we have to work with in this part of Texas. I loved seeing the picture of your hubby and mom, too.

o

Do not know about height, but these viburnums are listed as most fragrant:
Viburnum carlesii

Viburnum farreri

Viburnum odoratissimum

Viburnum x bodnantense 'Pink Dawn'

Viburnum x burkwoodii

Viburnum x carlcephalum

Viburnum x judii

o

Sandankwa viburnum is very durable and a nice grower as well. Spring Bouquet has been pretty popular for a while now and the pix above show some off the reasons why. Odoratissimum is commonly referred to as smoothleaf viburnum and get 10-15 high so may not be a great choice if 6 foot is your stated goal height.
Happy Growing David

o

Roselee, here is a page that furthur describes some viburums: http://www.floridata.com/ref/V/viburn_o.cfm
Hitexplanter, do you have any idea where can I get the Odoratissimum variety (Austin)?

o

Thanks for the names and links to cultivars Lynn and David. Now I'm really interested in viburnums!

o

Red Geranium

I don't really know the Austin nurseries that well. I would guess the Natural Gardener or the Great Outdoors would be possible ones that I would check first.
Happy Growing David

o

There is a compact version of the Spring Bouquet that is only supposed to get around 6' tall. You might look for that. From what I've seen and read, I think most Viburnums get rather large. Remember, not all Viburnums are evergreen. I am a big fan of the Spring bouquet, though, and think that the compact Spring Bouquet would be your best bet for your size requirements.

Sally

o

I agree...Dang!!! That Spring Bouquet is gorgeous. I'm adding that one to my list.

Sandankwa is another name for Suspensum, which I have in my yard and am pleased with.

Rosalee:

I saw these Vibrunum Japonicum Macrophylla at Rainbow Gardens, and liked them because they looked like magnolias. Then, I saw one growing in my neighborhood and it looked very healthy, so that made my decision. I bought one. Then another one.
It's a larger viburnum. 10-15 feet.
And makes a nice understory.

I don't know if anyone else is growing them? It's not an easy vibrunum to find. As a matter of fact, when I do internet searches, I can't find any information.

The only wholesale grower that I know of is Greenleaf.

The Greenleaf Description:
LARGE LEAF VIBURNUM / Viburnum japonicum macrophyllus
Description: Upright growing, thickly branched evergreen shrub 10  15 feet with thick, glossy, dark green foliage. Excellent for screen or individual specimen. Flowers are white and fragrant.
Hardiness Zone: Zone 8 - Hardy to 10 to 20(F)

Here is a link that might be useful: Viburnum japonicum marcophyllus/Large Leaf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here